apache server

Post by fmei » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Dear all,

I want to give users on the FreeBSD box their own web dirs, like

http://www.domain.com/~user

I really used the apache's default option in srm.conf as

UserDir public_html

and I created public_html in users home directory.

When I browse it, it replys "You don't have permission to access
/~user/ on this server".

I checked all home dirs are readable by others.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fei

apache server

Post by Neil Monro » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You must change the permissions on your home directory and the public_html
directory for the world to be able to see it. Try doing this logged in (or
su -l) as the user in question:

cd ~user
chmod 755 . public_html

This will make sure the directory can be read from the web. If you want more
privacy for your files, just set the permissions on a per-file basis in the
directories of your web directory.

--

Neil Monroe

http://webusers.anet-stl.com/~monroenh/

>Dear all,

>I want to give users on the FreeBSD box their own web dirs, like

>http://www.domain.com/~user

>I really used the apache's default option in srm.conf as

>UserDir public_html

>and I created public_html in users home directory.

>When I browse it, it replys "You don't have permission to access
>/~user/ on this server".

>I checked all home dirs are readable by others.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance.

>Fei

apache server

Post by Stefanos Kiaka » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You should check your Apache server config to see if you permit
directory listing if no file is specified and there is no index.html
file.

stef