Ports ISO images

Post by Fabr » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi to all,
where can I found ISO images of ports collections?

Many thanks

Ports ISO images

Post by Glenn T. Jayapute » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hi to all,
>where can I found ISO images of ports collections?

Yeah, I am looking for the same thing actually...

Ports ISO images

Post by Chris Costell » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi to all,
> where can I found ISO images of ports collections?

   You buy them.

Quote:> Many thanks

Ports ISO images

Post by Dariusz Pietrza » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

:> Hi to all,
:> where can I found ISO images of ports collections?
:    You buy them.
You buy ISO images?
how quaint

Dariusz Pietrzak

Ports ISO images

Post by Eyvind Bernhardse » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi to all,
> > where can I found ISO images of ports collections?

>    You buy them.

From www.freebsd.org:

FreeBSD is free

While you might expect an operating system with these features to sell
for a high price, FreeBSD is available free of charge and comes with
full source code. If you would like to try it out, more information is
available.

Obviously, FreeBSD is using a definition of "free of charge" of which
I was previously unaware.  This is why I prefer the (in my case,
Debian) Linux community to the various BSD groups; far less flamage
directed at people who "don't support the project".

Way to make newbies feel welcome.
--
Eyvind Bernhardsen

Ports ISO images

Post by Fabr » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Where ? I have not found in cdrom.com !

> > Hi to all,
> > where can I found ISO images of ports collections?

>    You buy them.

> > Many thanks

Ports ISO images

Post by MeatHea » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > > Hi to all,
> > > where can I found ISO images of ports collections?

> >    You buy them.

> From www.freebsd.org:

> FreeBSD is free

> While you might expect an operating system with these features to sell
> for a high price, FreeBSD is available free of charge and comes with
> full source code. If you would like to try it out, more information is
> available.

> Obviously, FreeBSD is using a definition of "free of charge" of which
> I was previously unaware.  This is why I prefer the (in my case,
> Debian) Linux community to the various BSD groups; far less flamage
> directed at people who "don't support the project".

> Way to make newbies feel welcome.
> --
> Eyvind Bernhardsen

No FreeBSD say free of charge to mean just that.  If you want to install via ftp, it only costs you the time and bandwidth to
download.  No money need to exchange hands.  But it is a nice thing to actually purchase a copy from Walnut Creek, as this generates
resources for the developers.

MeatHead

Ports ISO images

Post by Peter Lo » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:37:33 -0400, MeatHead

> > From www.freebsd.org:

> > FreeBSD is free

> > While you might expect an operating system with these features to sell
> > for a high price, FreeBSD is available free of charge and comes with
> > full source code. If you would like to try it out, more information is
> > available.

> > Obviously, FreeBSD is using a definition of "free of charge" of which
> > I was previously unaware.  This is why I prefer the (in my case,
> > Debian) Linux community to the various BSD groups; far less flamage
> > directed at people who "don't support the project".

> > Way to make newbies feel welcome.
> > --
> > Eyvind Bernhardsen

> No FreeBSD say free of charge to mean just that.  If you want to install via ftp, it only costs you the time and bandwidth to
> download.  No money need to exchange hands.  But it is a nice thing to actually purchase a copy from Walnut Creek, as this generates
> resources for the developers.

> MeatHead

You can actually download the images that have the packages (not
the ports) on them from:

        ftp://ftp.tu-clausthal.de/pub/FreeBSD/CD-ROM-images/3.3-RELEASE/

and from sites that mirror ftp.tu-clausthal.de (aka ftp7.de.freebsd.org)

However, I think that getting upset because these images weren't
provided is a bit silly - FreeBSD provides images for the main
part of the operating system, and you can download the packages
yourself. Just because they don't put the packages into a handily
downloadable ISO image for you is no reason to sulk. (comments
directed at Eyvind Bernhardsen).

For more info on the CD-ROM images, check my page:

        http://www.instinct.org/~pgl/freebsd-isos.html

--
Peter Lowe -- System Administrator, Nextra Telenor Internet

Everything I know in life I learnt from .sigs

Ports ISO images

Post by Jeremy Nels » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Obviously, FreeBSD is using a definition of "free of charge" of which
>I was previously unaware.  This is why I prefer the (in my case,
>Debian) Linux community to the various BSD groups; far less flamage
>directed at people who "don't support the project".

>Way to make newbies feel welcome.

You mean "leeches".  Why is Walnut Creek obligated to give you what you
want for no charge, in exactly the way you want it?  It's not like you
can't get the stuff you want, you just have to put in a *sy bit of effort
to get it.  Clearly, such an expenditure of effort is beyond your ability
or desire, or something.

I have a grand and novel idea.  Why dont you create an ISO for the packages,
put it up for FTP somewhere and let people download it from your ftp site?
That way everyone can have the ISO image that so desperately is needed!

Jeremy
--

Four
Lines

Ports ISO images

Post by Chris Costell » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Obviously, FreeBSD is using a definition of "free of charge" of which
> I was previously unaware.  This is why I prefer the (in my case,
> Debian) Linux community to the various BSD groups; far less flamage
> directed at people who "don't support the project".

   He wanted CD images.  If you want to have the CD with ports
on it, you have to buy it from Walnut Creek.  Or you could use
CVSup.  See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/.

Ports ISO images

Post by Michael Henr » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Take a look at http://www.freebsdmall.com/

 Michael Henry                        aviast AT hons.cs.usyd.edu.au

Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
        --Bertrand Russell

>Where ? I have not found in cdrom.com !

>> > Hi to all,
>> > where can I found ISO images of ports collections?

>>    You buy them.

>> > Many thanks

Ports ISO images

Post by Chris Costell » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Where ? I have not found in cdrom.com !

   Specifically you buy the CD set and get the ports plus more.

Ports ISO images

Post by Eyvind Bernhardse » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >Way to make newbies feel welcome.

> You mean "leeches".  Why is Walnut Creek obligated to give you what
> you want for no charge, in exactly the way you want it?  It's not
> like you can't get the stuff you want, you just have to put in a
> *sy bit of effort to get it.  Clearly, such an expenditure of
> effort is beyond your ability or desire, or something.

I wasn't criticising Walnut Creek, I was criticising the rude
requests for information.  If someone posts a message to the group
asking "how do I get an ISO image of the FreeBSD ports", I don't
expect someone from Walnut Creek to jump up and say "here, take ours".
What I _do_ expect is a reasonable answer, such as "sorry, you'll have
to mirror the ports locally and make your own ISO images".  You might
also say "if you need a CD, you can buy it from Walnut Creek".  The
prevailing attitude, however, appears to be "* off, leech".

Quote:> I have a grand and novel idea.  Why dont you create an ISO for the
> packages, put it up for FTP somewhere and let people download it
> from your ftp site?  That way everyone can have the ISO image that
> so desperately is needed!

Why should I?  I'm only trying FreeBSD to see if I like it.  Nice OS,
pity the people are so rude.
--
Eyvind Bernhardsen

Ports ISO images

Post by Jeremy Nels » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>[When]
>asking "how do I get an ISO image of the FreeBSD ports", I don't
>expect someone from Walnut Creek to jump up and say "here, take ours".
>What I _do_ expect is a reasonable answer, such as "sorry, you'll have
>to mirror the ports locally and make your own ISO images".  You might
>also say "if you need a CD, you can buy it from Walnut Creek".  The
>prevailing attitude, however, appears to be "* off, leech".

No, the prevailing attitude is "We just answered this question last week.
Why do people keep asking the same question just a couple of days after
someone else asked the exact same question?"

You would have done far far better if you had spent 15 minutes reading the
newsgroup, refering to dejanews if neccesary, to see that your question had
already been asked (and answered), without being the ump*th person to
express disdain against the freebsd community for not giving away
everything in ISO format.

Quote:>> I have a grand and novel idea.  Why dont you create an ISO for the
>> packages, put it up for FTP somewhere and let people download it
>> from your ftp site?  That way everyone can have the ISO image that
>> so desperately is needed!

>Why should I?  I'm only trying FreeBSD to see if I like it.  Nice OS,
>pity the people are so rude.

Why should _you_?  If you aren't willing to do it for yourself, or even
for that matter see if anyone _else_ has done it, why should anyone do it
_for_ you?  Is it too much to ask that you put in even a minimal amount of
effort first?  The reason people have been "rude" to you is because the
tone of your original request was beligerant.

Jeremy
--

Four
Lines
Suffice.

Ports ISO images

Post by Chris Costell » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I wasn't criticising Walnut Creek, I was criticising the rude
> requests for information.  If someone posts a message to the group
> asking "how do I get an ISO image of the FreeBSD ports", I don't
> expect someone from Walnut Creek to jump up and say "here, take ours".
> What I _do_ expect is a reasonable answer, such as "sorry, you'll have
> to mirror the ports locally and make your own ISO images".  You might
> also say "if you need a CD, you can buy it from Walnut Creek".  The
> prevailing attitude, however, appears to be "* off, leech".

   That was not my intention.  I had intended to mean that the
best (or rather, "only") way to get the ports on CD is to buy
the set from Walnut Creek CDROM.  I apologize if it seemed
otherwise.

1. ISO ISO ISO ISO HELP

I checked Redhat's installation site and they don't give the correct
directory on their FTP site to get the ISO image.  Which image should I
get for a bootable image?    There is a zoot-i386.iso and there is also
a redhat-6.2-i386.iso -- what does each contain????

It is a big download either way, even on a fast connection.  Any help
would be appreciated.

--
Dave Burns

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. vi, backspace and Linux

3. iso images Red Hat 7.0

4. User logging (WAS: Is it possible to log original IP addresses?)

5. How to burn SUSE ISO image in Windows

6. wheel and su root

7. CD Server - Why an ISO image?

8. DNS Setup

9. .iso images for download

10. lofiadm and "partition" s1 on Solaris 9 ISO images

11. How Do I Make A Bootable RH6 ISO Image?

12. ISO-Images for SUSE 8.1

13. mounting iso image?