Getting encrypted password information - a better way?

Getting encrypted password information - a better way?

Post by Dan Fost » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I wasn't sure if this was a suitable item to send-pr, so I didn't.

Anyway... problem: I have cyrus IMAP server (v1.4) and FreeBSD
2.1.5-RELEASE. I had to make minor modifications in order to make
imapd work under FreeBSD. Biggest single problem? Apparently, under
FreeBSD, you get encrypted password info only if your euid is 0.

But... cyrus imapd *insists* on having a non-zero euid.

Temporary workaround/terrible hack: make imapd suid root, and then
immediately put a setreuid(<cyrus user uid>); and doing this later on:

setreuid(0);
getpwnam();
setreuid(<cyrus user uid>);

in order to get the encrypted password information.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, implementation-wise. Any
suggestions? Would be glad to summarize solution.

Once I have this fixed, I'll submit a formal patch to the cyrus group.

-Dan Foster

1. Getting NIS+ encrypted password

I want to know if it's possible to get the users password (encrypted),
if that machine is configured for NIS+.

I am on a SunSparc 1000 running Solaris 2.4.
I am writting a C program to validate the user.
And the Spar1000 is running NIS+.

How can this be done? Is it possible without using NIS+ API's?

Please reply by e-mail.

Thanks.
-ripple-

Ripple Parikh

2. Atapi cd-rom

3. i know there are better ways....

4. RS/6000 Wanted (Used)

5. getting the network interface information and default gateway information ??

6. Ipchains restriction

7. Painless Ways to Handle Password Expirations

8. what's "pc" command in unix makefile ?

9. Encrypted information stored on server

10. samba 2.0.7 +security=share +encrypted passwords +NT4-SP4

11. encrypting passwords for various services

12. passwd encrypted password failure

13. Program to generate encrypted version of password?