iomega JAZ + iomega SCSI

Post by Osama ALASSIR » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

HI FreeBSD Gurus!!!

I have a win95 computer, and wanted to give FreeBSD a try (to actually use
it for some time...), the problem is that I don't have enough space on my
IDE hard disk, so thought about making a FreeBSD Jaz Disk....

After disabling my IDE drive (CMOS Setup) and enabling Jaz's bootable
option, i usually get the os on the jaz disk (tried it on w95 , and
DOS/wfw).......

When trying to install FreeBSD, it DETECTS MY IDE DRIVE (isn't it
disabled???) and IGNORES MY JAZ!

what can I do???

(all i want is to install FreeBSD on a JAZ... and use it when I need
it...)

thank you,
            Osama

iomega JAZ + iomega SCSI

Post by Osama ALASSIR » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

HI FreeBSD Gurus!!!

I have a win95 computer, and wanted to give FreeBSD a try (to actually use
it for some time...), the problem is that I don't have enough space on my
IDE hard disk, so thought about making a FreeBSD Jaz Disk....

After disabling my IDE drive (CMOS Setup) and enabling Jaz's bootable
option, i usually get the os on the jaz disk (tried it on w95 , and
DOS/wfw).......

When trying to install FreeBSD, it DETECTS MY IDE DRIVE (isn't it
disabled???) and IGNORES MY JAZ!

what can I do???

(all i want is to install FreeBSD on a JAZ... and use it when I need
it...)

thank you,
            Osama

iomega JAZ + iomega SCSI

Post by t.. » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>HI FreeBSD Gurus!!!

>I have a win95 computer, and wanted to give FreeBSD a try (to actually use
>it for some time...), the problem is that I don't have enough space on my
>IDE hard disk, so thought about making a FreeBSD Jaz Disk....

>After disabling my IDE drive (CMOS Setup) and enabling Jaz's bootable
>option, i usually get the os on the jaz disk (tried it on w95 , and
>DOS/wfw).......

>When trying to install FreeBSD, it DETECTS MY IDE DRIVE (isn't it
>disabled???) and IGNORES MY JAZ!

>what can I do???

Even if it detects the IDE controller if it detects the jaz SCSI controller then
it will give you an option to install on the SCSI device.  The only thing that
matters on booting is what the CMOS says is drive 0, if you can get your
CMOS to read a bootstrap off the jaz drive you should be able to boot FreeBSD
off of it.

Are you setting the SCSI interrupt and port to one that doesen't conflict with
the IDE controller interrupt and ports?

Having never used an IOMEGA scsi controller card, I don't know what kind of
chipset it has in it so I can't tell you if it's supported under FreeBSD.

1. iomega 2GB jaz drive (with iomega SCSI) and RedHat 5.2, installation problem #3

After a week of frustration, I realize I should probably have looked
into the hardware compatibility lists before I got this fancy new
computer
from Microcenter (a PowerSpec6320). There are several hardware
components that are not supported by Redhat Linux 5.2:
* a 3DLabs Permedia 2 graphics card
* a Netgear Fast Ethernet adapter FA310TX
* a iomega SCSI adapter (came with the new 2GB jaz drive)

In this message, I get to the last point: How can I "reach" my jaz
drive? Apparently the iomega SCSI adapter is not (yet) supported by
RedHat.
Otherwise, I have the impression that it would boil down to a simple
mount
question. Does anyone have experience with this card and the 2GB jaz
drive?
Although this is the least of my installation problems, it would of
course be nice to
get the system run as a whole.

Again: any help appreciated,
Martin.
Dr. Martin Schultz
Department for Engineering&Applied Sciences, Harvard University
109 Pierce Hall, 29 Oxford St., Cambridge, MA-02138, USA

phone: (617)-496-8318
fax  : (617)-495-4551

Internet-homepage: http://www-as.harvard.edu/people/staff/mgs/

2. Any VNC gurus around ?

3. Iomega Jaz 2G + PCMCIA Jaz Card

4. TAR not working

5. Anybody familiar with iomega JAZ drive (SCSI)?

6. WHOA!

7. Iomega Jaz PCI SCSI card?

8. su not working

9. Iomega jaz jet pci scsi card

10. SCSI Iomega Jaz dies in Linux?

11. Is Iomega Jaz Jet SCSI adapter supported?

12. Iomega Jaz Jet PCI SCSI Driver Wanted!!

13. Iomega Jaz PCMCIA SCSI (Adaptec APA-1460) fails with Linux