Sorry but FreeBSD4.x is unusable as ftp

Post by Peter Johns » Mon, 28 Aug 2000 04:00:00

See:
http://www.mcs.net/~locke/vrfix/

for a fix.  This is a known problem, and there's a PR out on it.

says...

Quote:> I run FreeBSD4.0 as an ftp server but since the FreeBSD4.x branch

--

:Windows: Where do you want to go today?
:Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Post by Smitt » Mon, 28 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> See:
> http://www.mcs.net/~locke/vrfix/

> for a fix.  This is a known problem, and there's a PR out on it.

> says...
> > I run FreeBSD4.0 as an ftp server but since the FreeBSD4.x branch
> > I always get vr0 watchdog timeout and if you are loading up or down
> > you get the file corrupt
> > The problem exists on all 4.x series so far and I probably have to
> > downgrade to some Linuxver.(orFreeBSD3.x)if this problem continues.
> > I have tried with a D-link 10/100Mb card and a UNEX 10/100Mb card
> > it always happens when it is most crucial namely under a heavy netload.
> > If someone KNOWS a solution to this please inform me quickly or post
> > a solution here on usenet.
> > /regards
> > Jerker Pihl

> > cards spec and netspec
> > Dlink DFE-530TX (10/100)-> Netgear switch sd050 10/100->10Mb ethernet

> --

> :Windows: Where do you want to go today?
> :Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?
> :FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

  :OpenBSD: Hey, just mind your own business and fix your own kernel!

Smitty

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~electro

Post by Timothy J. L » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:49:39

Quote:>I run FreeBSD4.0 as an ftp server but since the FreeBSD4.x branch
>I always get vr0 watchdog timeout and if you are loading up or down
>you get the file corrupt

Sounds like a bug in either the Via Rhine chip or the vr driver
included with FreeBSD.  Does the problem occur with a different
network card?

Timothy J. Lee

Post by Peter Johns » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:25:32

> >I run FreeBSD4.0 as an ftp server but since the FreeBSD4.x branch
> >I always get vr0 watchdog timeout and if you are loading up or down
> >you get the file corrupt

> Sounds like a bug in either the Via Rhine chip or the vr driver
> included with FreeBSD.  Does the problem occur with a different
> network card?

It's a bug in the mii-bus (or mii-bus vr interface) code.  4.0
introduced the mii-bus based drivers and this problem cropped up.  I've
managed to fix this problem by backrolling the vr code to pre-miibus,
and then patching it so it still compiles with 4.x-STABLE.

<http://www.mcs.net/~locke/vrfix/> contains more detailed instructions
on what versions of the if_vr.c and if_vrreg.h files to download, and
also contains a patch that I try to keep updated with -STABLE.

--

Post by Jerker Pih » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>> >I run FreeBSD4.0 as an ftp server but since the FreeBSD4.x branch
>> >I always get vr0 watchdog timeout and if you are loading up or down
>> >you get the file corrupt

>> Sounds like a bug in either the Via Rhine chip or the vr driver
>> included with FreeBSD.  Does the problem occur with a different
>> network card?
> It's a bug in the mii-bus (or mii-bus vr interface) code.  4.0
> introduced the mii-bus based drivers and this problem cropped up.  I've
> managed to fix this problem by backrolling the vr code to pre-miibus,
> and then patching it so it still compiles with 4.x-STABLE.

Is this bug fixed in the -current src tree or is it still there?

> <http://www.mcs.net/~locke/vrfix/> contains more detailed instructions
> on what versions of the if_vr.c and if_vrreg.h files to download, and
> also contains a patch that I try to keep updated with -STABLE.
> --

> :Windows: Where do you want to go today?
> :Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?
> :FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~electro

Sorry but FreeBSD4.x is unusable as ftp

>>> Sounds like a bug in either the Via Rhine chip or the vr driver
>>> included with FreeBSD.  Does the problem occur with a different
>>> network card?
>> It's a bug in the mii-bus (or mii-bus vr interface) code.  4.0
>> introduced the mii-bus based drivers and this problem cropped up.  I've
>> managed to fix this problem by backrolling the vr code to pre-miibus,
>> and then patching it so it still compiles with 4.x-STABLE.

 Thanxs for the help also
 Is this bug fixed in the -current src tree or is it still there?

>> <http://www.mcs.net/~locke/vrfix/> contains more detailed instructions
>> on what versions of the if_vr.c and if_vrreg.h files to download, and
>> also contains a patch that I try to keep updated with -STABLE.
>> --

>> :Windows: Where do you want to go today?
>> :Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?
>> :FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
> --

> http://www.ludd.luth.se/~electro

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~electro

Sorry but FreeBSD4.x is unusable as ftp

Post by Peter Johns » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

says...

> >> Sounds like a bug in either the Via Rhine chip or the vr driver
> >> included with FreeBSD.  Does the problem occur with a different
> >> network card?

> > It's a bug in the mii-bus (or mii-bus vr interface) code.  4.0
> > introduced the mii-bus based drivers and this problem cropped up.  I've
> > managed to fix this problem by backrolling the vr code to pre-miibus,
> > and then patching it so it still compiles with 4.x-STABLE.
> Is this bug fixed in the -current src tree or is it still there?

It's still there.  There *is* a PR out on this, so the FreeBSD folks
(and the maintainer of the vr driver) know about the problem and my
patch.  However, my changes have not been merged in, I think primarily
because it's a step back to pre-miibus and not not a patch to the
miibus-based code.

I ought to suggest a branch to keep my patches in the FreeBSD CVS tree,
or some option to select between the two versions, but I feel that it's
not my place.  Perhaps if enough people have this problem, something
along those lines will occur.

--

Post by Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueir » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> says...

>> > It's a bug in the mii-bus (or mii-bus vr interface) code.  4.0
>> > introduced the mii-bus based drivers and this problem cropped up.
>> Is this bug fixed in the -current src tree or is it still there?
> It's still there.  There *is* a PR out on this, so the FreeBSD folks
> (and the maintainer of the vr driver) know about the problem and my
> patch.

What cards use the vr driver ? (I think this problem doesn't affect the
cards I have here *, but I would like to be sure.)

* in cronological order: WD8003-clones, 3Com 509, 3Com 905, Netgear FA310-TX

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/f1/ an half-tifoso until Canada 2000
        Mark Sandman - Morphine, RIP (1952-1999/07/03, Italy)

Sorry but FreeBSD4.x is unusable as ftp

Post by Jerker Pih » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>> says...

/deleted/
>> It's still there.  There *is* a PR out on this, so the FreeBSD folks
>> (and the maintainer of the vr driver) know about the problem and my
>> patch.
> What cards use the vr driver ? (I think this problem doesn't affect the
> cards I have here *, but I would like to be sure.)
> * in cronological order: WD8003-clones, 3Com 509, 3Com 905, Netgear FA310-TX

As I have written before I have tried with to cards and both had the problem
DlinkDFE-530TX (an 10/100hd/fdcard) had an UNEXcard(same spec) with the sameproblem

Post by timcm-nos.. » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>> :Windows: Where do you want to go today?
>> :Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?
>> :FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
>   :OpenBSD: Hey, just mind your own business and fix your own kernel!
> Smitty

Ok, I really like OpenBSD for what it does do well, but I found the above
hilarious!  And a little true, but just as data point, I found the OpneBSD
install much easier than FreeBSD's.

                                                Tim

Sorry but FreeBSD4.x is unusable as ftp

Post by Holm Tif » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

[..]

Quote:

> As I have written before I have tried with to cards and both had the problem
> DlinkDFE-530TX (an 10/100hd/fdcard) had an UNEXcard(same spec) with the sameproblem

Try to use a card with an different chipset, like a Intel Etherexpress (fxp0)
or something, I have good results with the Intel 21143 based cards too (dc0)
I think thosa are actually Dlink cards.

Holm
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR      Holm Tiffe  * Administration, Development
Systemhaus fr Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781279

1. I Am Very Sorry!!!

I would like to apologise to this newsgroup and everyone who reads this newsgroup!!! I promise never to post or send spam to this or any other newsgroup that does not pertain to my posting!!! Please accept my humble apology and again I will never post spam here again!!! Thank You!!!

Andrew Schero

2. WTB: E30 memory

3. Clocks...

4. tcp_wrappers not logging

5. ipchains filter - am i doing this right? (Sorry)

6. Anyone knows how to get disk io stats for Reliant UNIX 5.4x ?

7. OK, I am not giving up. SORRY!

8. I Am Very Sorry!!!

9. Sorry, I am too busy for the FAQ.

10. I Am Very Sorry!!!