FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE to 4.3-STABLE

Post by Radoy Pavlo » Tue, 01 May 2001 01:08:52

Hello,

I'm trying to update a box of mine. It was initially 3.4-R, but
i've managed to update it to 3.5-stable.
What is the best way to update against 4.x series ?
I've tried to cvsup to 4.0-R and 4.3-S, but had some errors
while making buildworld. The /usr/src/UPDATING wasn't very
helpful because of those errors in buildworld. Any hints ?

I could reinstall 4.3 from an ISO image, but there are real
users and i don't want to loose them. What's is the procedure
to recover users from a backup /etc dir ?
1. copy passwd, master.passwd, group over
2. start pwd_mkdb
3. edit login.conf and add passwd-format=des (3.x uses DES)
4. start cap_mkdb
Right or wrong ?

Thanks in advance, Radoy

--
Error FE6B - Nonexistent - This comment does not exist,
and therefore you cannot read it. Please go away quietly.

Post by Doug Hard » Tue, 01 May 2001 15:36:18

> Hello,

> I'm trying to update a box of mine. It was initially 3.4-R, but
> i've managed to update it to 3.5-stable.
> What is the best way to update against 4.x series ?
> I've tried to cvsup to 4.0-R and 4.3-S, but had some errors
> while making buildworld. The /usr/src/UPDATING wasn't very
> helpful because of those errors in buildworld. Any hints ?

> I could reinstall 4.3 from an ISO image, but there are real
> users and i don't want to loose them. What's is the procedure
> to recover users from a backup /etc dir ?
> 1. copy passwd, master.passwd, group over
> 2. start pwd_mkdb
> 3. edit login.conf and add passwd-format=des (3.x uses DES)
> 4. start cap_mkdb
> Right or wrong ?

> Thanks in advance, Radoy

I just completed that update, but I went to 4.3-Release.  My understanding
from watching the Stable forum is that 4.3-Stable is undergoing a lot of
change right now and may not be stable at any specific point in time.  The
upgrade to 4.3-Release went real smoothly after following the instructions
in UPDATING.

To save your password file, when running mergemaster and it displays the
password files, leave them for later.  Don't update them.  Then as you
indicate in 3 above add the des line in default.

1. 3.5 stable to 4.x stable probs

After two successful upgrades, I guess I became a little cocky and on
my third upgrade managed to screw my system up royally.  I had
difficulty going from 3.5 stable to 4.3 stable, so I tried going to
4.1 release to 4.3 stable (based on a recommendation).  Currently my
system is operational, but I can't make buildworld or installworld.
I'm sure my /usr/src is screwed to hell, but not sure how to proceed
at this point without backing up and reinstalling from scratch.

2. X and REDHAT 7.3 does not work.

3. Increasing amount of open files in freeBSD 4.3-STABLE

4. X for Diamond Stealth 3D 2000

5. Mounting an ext2fs filesystem on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE

6. Just A Test (Ignore This)

7. Gnome under FreeBSD 4.3 Stable

8. When CGI run..How can run root permission command ?

9. Trouble installing jdk12_beta on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE

10. Networking problem after conversion to 3.5-Stable

11. 3.5-STABLE boot.flp and root.flp

12. Can't find 4.3-STABLE

13. how to build the world for 4.3 stable...