Wine and sysctl.conf

Post by Karl E. Taylo » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:51:46

Greetings.

I am trying to get Wine to run on my system.  Problem is, I can't find
any thing in the docs for setting the sysctl.conf for the LDT, and
Memory stuff.

I need the settings for these guys:

USER_LDT, SYSVSHM,  SYSVSEM,  and  SYSVMSG

Thanks in advance

Karl E. Taylor                  UNIX/Network Engineer

Phoenix, AZ

Wine and sysctl.conf

Post by Torfinn Ingolfse » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 23:24:54

> Greetings.

> I am trying to get Wine to run on my system.  Problem is, I can't find
> any thing in the docs for setting the sysctl.conf for the LDT, and
> Memory stuff.

> I need the settings for these guys:

> USER_LDT, SYSVSHM,  SYSVSEM,  and  SYSVMSG

These are options in the kernel config file. It is not possible to st
these with sysctl, AFAIK.
You need to chenge them in you kernel config file, and make a new
kernel.
See the handbook.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway

Wine and sysctl.conf

Post by Jason Dento » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 23:44:48

> Greetings.

> I am trying to get Wine to run on my system.  Problem is, I can't find
> any thing in the docs for setting the sysctl.conf for the LDT, and
> Memory stuff.

> I need the settings for these guys:

> USER_LDT, SYSVSHM,  SYSVSEM,  and  SYSVMSG

> Thanks in advance

These are kernel options, I don't think they can be changed without a
kernel rebuild but I could be wrong. The last three should be standard
in most kernels, and I beleive USER_LDT is standard in most recent ones
(4.3 or later).

Jason

Wine and sysctl.conf

Post by Karl E. Taylo » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:11:28

> Greetings.

> I am trying to get Wine to run on my system.  Problem is, I can't find
> any thing in the docs for setting the sysctl.conf for the LDT, and
> Memory stuff.

> I need the settings for these guys:

> USER_LDT, SYSVSHM,  SYSVSEM,  and  SYSVMSG

> Thanks in advance
> --

> Karl E. Taylor                  UNIX/Network Engineer

> Phoenix, AZ

Okay, so I'm stupid and missed the make depend when I added the wine
stuff.

Now, it works, with single applications.  However, I have need to
install Win95/98 completely on the box.

(Yeah yeah, I know, how dare you pollute a fine UNIX machine with
Windoze, sorry)

The setup.exe starts fine, but then I get the splash screen, the hour
glass the setup box and then, nothing.  It just sits there.  So it's
real close to Windows, but I do need it to do just a bit more.

Can you actually install the entire Win95 package through wine?  Or am I
kind of stuck running single programs as needed?

Again, thanks in advance.

KET.

Wine and sysctl.conf

Post by John Nielse » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:35:59

Quote:> Now, it works, with single applications.  However, I have need to
> install Win95/98 completely on the box.

> (Yeah yeah, I know, how dare you pollute a fine UNIX machine with
> Windoze, sorry)

> The setup.exe starts fine, but then I get the splash screen, the hour
> glass the setup box and then, nothing.  It just sits there.  So it's
> real close to Windows, but I do need it to do just a bit more.

> Can you actually install the entire Win95 package through wine?  Or am I
> kind of stuck running single programs as needed?

Wine is a VERY young project, especially with regard to what it aspires to
do.  It works (sometimes well) with a lot of things, and doesn't for a lot
of others.  It is very much ALPHA quality software, as is mentioned several
times in the documentation.

As I understand it, wine is more or less (mostly less) a _replacement_ for
the OS parts of Windows.  So if you want to actually install some version or
other of Windows, you should either dual-boot or look at a different
emulator such as VMWare (which creates a virtual machine on which you can
run whatever OS you like).  Wine will (ideally) allow you to run Windows
_applications_.  So when Word, for example, wants to save a file to the
disk, wine will intercept the file I/O calls and save the file to your
FreeBSD disk, rather than doing Windows hardware calls on your disk (which
would mess up your filesystem).

What exactly are you trying to do?  With more information the group might be
able to make better suggestions.

JN

1. WINE - wine.conf

I've d/l, built, and ran Wine 980712. wine.conf in /usr/local/etc is my
problem.
I get an error like cann't find dos drive.

I have my drive c: on /c
My NT is at c:\winnt
After the cann't find dos drive it says
defaulting to windows directory.
But of course that can't be found either. Could someone post theirs
or list what the entire should read.  I can tailor it otherwise.
Specifically the PATH under Drive_C
and windows directory path I can't get right. thanks, Jim

2. Firewall

3. Wine,wine,wine - I need help with wine

4. WD7000 PCI SCSI

5. "Sysctl.conf" in Redhat 7.1

6. java on powerpc 4400/200 how?

7. RH6.2 and Linuxconf and sysctl.conf

8. FireWall-1 & High UDP/TCP ports

9. sysctl.conf, log martians

10. sysctl.conf

11. sysctl.conf not being executed?

12. Which controls packet forwarding - sysctl.conf or /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ?

13. wine.conf?