Cable modems and FreeBSD

Post by Kris Kielhofn » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:11:36

Hi, I am thinking about getting cable for high speed internet access.
They say that you need a Mac or Windows, but, I don't see how it would
not work with FreeBSD as it uses an ethernet card to connect to the
computer.  Is there anyone out there that has cable up and running
well in FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Kris

Cable modems and FreeBSD

Post by Maarten de Vrie » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:51:41

gifted us with:

Quote:>Is there anyone out there that has cable up and running well in FreeBSD?

Plenty, including myself and a whole bunch of acquintances that use
various types and brands of cablemodems and various ISPs.
Dunno if it's possible to get USB modems up and running yet, but the
ones that connect to a NIC in your pc shouldn't present any problems.

--
s/spamzuigt/netraam

Cable modems and FreeBSD

Post by Chuck McCrobi » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:59:29

However, I am running an internal ethernet which my FreeBSD box DNS
serves.  So, I had to hack the DHCP script not to overwrite the
/etc/resolv.conf file and needed to set the named to use the cable
providers DNS servers as forwarders - still, quite easy.

Chuck McCrobie

> Hi, I am thinking about getting cable for high speed internet access.
> They say that you need a Mac or Windows, but, I don't see how it would
> not work with FreeBSD as it uses an ethernet card to connect to the
> computer.  Is there anyone out there that has cable up and running
> well in FreeBSD?

> Thanks,
> Kris

Cable modems and FreeBSD

Post by John J. Rushford J » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:27:38

> Hi, I am thinking about getting cable for high speed internet access.
> They say that you need a Mac or Windows, but, I don't see how it would
> not work with FreeBSD as it uses an ethernet card to connect to the
> computer.  Is there anyone out there that has cable up and running
> well in FreeBSD?

> Thanks,
> Kris

a standard Network Interface card.  They assigned me a computer name
for use with DHCP.  All I had to do was configure the dhcp client with
the computer name and I'm assigned the same IP address every time I
boot.
--
John J. Rushford

Cable modems and FreeBSD

Post by Mike Andre » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:28:48

: However, I am running an internal ethernet which my FreeBSD box DNS
: serves.  So, I had to hack the DHCP script not to overwrite the
: /etc/resolv.conf file and needed to set the named to use the cable
: providers DNS servers as forwarders - still, quite easy.

: Chuck McCrobie

:>
:> Hi, I am thinking about getting cable for high speed internet access.
:> They say that you need a Mac or Windows, but, I don't see how it would
:> not work with FreeBSD as it uses an ethernet card to connect to the
:> computer.  Is there anyone out there that has cable up and running
:> well in FreeBSD?

Works fine here; I understand there are things in the DHCP config
file that will keep /etc/resolv.conf from being overwritten. Until
I figure it out, I just copy a backup file over resolv.conf soon
after boot (cronjob), and everything works fine.

--
Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

Cable modems and FreeBSD

Post by Robert Huf » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:04:50

> : However, I am running an internal ethernet which my FreeBSD box DNS
> : serves.  So, I had to hack the DHCP script not to overwrite the
> : /etc/resolv.conf file and needed to set the named to use the cable
> : providers DNS servers as forwarders - still, quite easy.

> Works fine here; I understand there are things in the DHCP config
> file that will keep /etc/resolv.conf from being overwritten. Until
> I figure it out, I just copy a backup file over resolv.conf soon
> after boot (cronjob), and everything works fine.

        For the ISC DHCP client, the magic words are "prepend" and
"supersede".  Also read the "request" and "require" directives
carefully.

                                Robert Huff

Cable modems and FreeBSD

Post by Michael Prot » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:17:02

Why not just 'chmod -w /etc/resolv.conf' as root?

Proto

--

Security Engineer, EarthLink Inc.  | (404)815-0770 x22114

> : However, I am running an internal ethernet which my FreeBSD box DNS
> : serves.  So, I had to hack the DHCP script not to overwrite the
> : /etc/resolv.conf file and needed to set the named to use the cable
> : providers DNS servers as forwarders - still, quite easy.

> : Chuck McCrobie

> :>
> :> Hi, I am thinking about getting cable for high speed internet access.
> :> They say that you need a Mac or Windows, but, I don't see how it would
> :> not work with FreeBSD as it uses an ethernet card to connect to the
> :> computer.  Is there anyone out there that has cable up and running
> :> well in FreeBSD?

> Works fine here; I understand there are things in the DHCP config
> file that will keep /etc/resolv.conf from being overwritten. Until
> I figure it out, I just copy a backup file over resolv.conf soon
> after boot (cronjob), and everything works fine.

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. freebsd 4.7 XFree86 installation problems

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. need help with Crystal sound chipset on an Intel SE440BX motherboard

5. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

6. comp.os.linux.laptop, please!

7. FreeBSD 2.2, Road Runner "cable modem", and so on

8. JDK and Redhat 5.2 Sparc

9. FreeBSD 3.2 gateway with @Home cable modem

10. HowTO: FreeBSD 2.2.1 Gatway to Cable Modem Internet Access ?

11. FreeBSD & ADSL/Cable Modem w/telco return

12. Problem with FreeBSD and Cable Modem

13. FreeBSD 4.5 as a Cable modem Gateway ...