FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by andrea » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

HI Folks

I used FreeBSD 3.1 for quite some time. Then
I got SuSE Linux 6.3 and I really like it because
it is (or at least was) a bit more user-friendly.

But now there's FreeBSD 4.0
and I know that it is more secure than my Linux
and since I drive an Internet Server for the inhabitants
of the house I live in that's important to me.

What I didn't like in 3.1 was:

- bad IDE driver (no UDMA 66...)
- no nice menu driven administration tool for system
- hardware drivers included in kernel
- no support for Fritz!-ISDN card
- bad support for graphic cards under XFree
- documentation

What changed from 3.1 to 4.0 ?

Thanks.
 - andreaz

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by RWA » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

FreeBSD 4.0 has many new drivers including Ultra66 support.  The release
notes on http://www.freebsd.org has more info on all the changes since
FreeBSD 3.4.

There were additional changes between 3.1-->3.2-->3.3-->3.4 which you
may want to look into.

I'm running both Redhat 6.1 and FreeBSD 4.0 right now.  Give FreeBSD 4.0
a spin and see if you like it better than FreeBSD 3.1.  I've personally
found FreeBSD better/easier than Linux when it comes to creating a
gateway for internet connection sharing.  I never liked the way I had to
do ip masq'ing on Linux using ipchains.

The graphics card support in XFree86 3.3.6 is identical between Linux
and FreeBSD.
You'll find a great deal more cards supported now than the version of
XFree86 used in FreeBSD 3.1.

Documentation has been improving.  Get the 3rd edition of Complete
FreeBSD and also check out the FreeBSD Handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org.  The book Unix Power Tools is also a great
one--you'll find it useful for both Linux and FreeBSD.

Good luck.

Quote:

> HI Folks

> I used FreeBSD 3.1 for quite some time. Then
> I got SuSE Linux 6.3 and I really like it because
> it is (or at least was) a bit more user-friendly.

> But now there's FreeBSD 4.0
> and I know that it is more secure than my Linux
> and since I drive an Internet Server for the inhabitants
> of the house I live in that's important to me.

> What I didn't like in 3.1 was:

> - bad IDE driver (no UDMA 66...)
> - no nice menu driven administration tool for system
> - hardware drivers included in kernel
> - no support for Fritz!-ISDN card
> - bad support for graphic cards under XFree
> - documentation

> What changed from 3.1 to 4.0 ?

> Thanks.
>  - andreaz

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by Donn Mille » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> FreeBSD 4.0 has many new drivers including Ultra66 support.  The release
> notes on http://www.freebsd.org has more info on all the changes since
> FreeBSD 3.4.

So, how is the UDMA66 support?  I've seen reports of FreeBSD having
stability problems with certain UDMA66 drives/controllers.  Maybe it's
because the technology is so new, I don't know.

- Donn

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by andrea » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

beklopptes arrogantes Arschloch!

> >HI Folks

> >I used FreeBSD 3.1 for quite some time. Then
> >I got SuSE Linux 6.3 and I really like it because
> >it is (or at least was) a bit more user-friendly.

> >But now there's FreeBSD 4.0
> >and I know that it is more secure than my Linux
> >and since I drive an Internet Server for the inhabitants
> >of the house I live in that's important to me.

> >What I didn't like in 3.1 was:

> >- bad IDE driver (no UDMA 66...)

> 4.0 has this now.

> >- no nice menu driven administration tool for system

> Be a real sysdamin, for God's sake!  GUI admin tools are for wimps!  :-)

> >- hardware drivers included in kernel

> Yeah, so?

> >- no support for Fritz!-ISDN card

> Don't know about this one.

> >- bad support for graphic cards under XFree

> You're blaming FreeBSD for this?  XFree86 is a completely independent
> project.  Take it up with them.

> >- documentation

> Improving all the time.

> >What changed from 3.1 to 4.0 ?

> Got a few days?  :-)
> --
> Conrad Sabatier
> http://members.home.net/conrads/
> ICQ# 1147270

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by Ronnie Cor » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>I'm running both Redhat 6.1 and FreeBSD 4.0 right now.  Give FreeBSD 4.0
>a spin and see if you like it better than FreeBSD 3.1.  I've personally
>found FreeBSD better/easier than Linux when it comes to creating a
>gateway for internet connection sharing.  I never liked the way I had to
>do ip masq'ing on Linux using ipchains.

I was wondering whether the kernel footprint of BSD is smaller than that of
linux?  I mean, on similar hardware and both configured as ipfw/ipchain/natd
system...  I've got an 8MB 386 machine that I run as a linux/ipchain server
without much problem and was wondering if it would be better to switch to
freebsd/natd...

thanks.

rgds,

- ron

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by Gerhard Gonte » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> [offensive reply trimmed]

What's your problem with Conrad's anser?

+gg

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by Nick Hilliar » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> So, how is the UDMA66 support?  I've seen reports of FreeBSD having
> stability problems with certain UDMA66 drives/controllers.  Maybe it's
> because the technology is so new, I don't know.

More to the point, has anyone come up with figures to show that UDMA66 is really
much faster than UDMA33?

Nick

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> ...  I've got an 8MB 386 machine that I run as a linux/ipchain
> server without much problem and was wondering if it would be better
> to switch to freebsd/natd...

Probably not.  A carefully tuned system (tailored kernel) should not
be that much different between both, after all, it's running on the
same architecture with the same compiler.

--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> beklopptes arrogantes Arschloch!

Very qualified reply.  But what to expect from someone who didn't even
get a real name?  Go back to the Einwohnermeldeamt and ask them to
assign you one, also ask for a guide about polite behaviour, maybe
they'll have them there, too.  If not, ask your mother.

See to get help from whomever you may like, but with _that_ tone, you
can sure nobody will help you anything.  Good luck.

And, next time you start your newsreader, stop buy at
de.newusers.questions, you apparently didn't look there so far,
otherwise you'd knew that not only real names and polite behaviour
belong to Usenet's Netiquette, but also t* quotes.

Please don't go back into the Linux newsgroups, i know that the people
who kindly answer the questions there are as fond of trolls like you
as we are here, so stop bothering them.  (They'd be gladly leave up
all those folks like you to our groups, i know, but we won't like to
take them either. ;-)

--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.veryComputer.com/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

:
: More to the point, has anyone come up with figures to show that UDMA66 is
: really much faster than UDMA33?

        Figures I don't have, but at least under Windows98 the machine loads
        maps in Half-Life much faster with UDMA66 then when the same drive
        was on a UDMA33 controller.

        That's all that matters to me, as I try to only use IDE/UDMA drives
        for toy game systems that run Windows98 (for some reason Windows98
        is faster with IDE drives then SCSI...  Driver problem perhaps?).

        For real work my workstation runs SCSI LVD (Ultra2 Wide) and
        FreeBSD.  Even good SCSI hardware is cheap enough these days that
        IDE/UDMA makes less and less sense in the big picture, except for
        cheap game boxes like my above example.

--

                                    "Nyet.  Linux coder in next office."
                                    "Good man.  Ignore the screams."

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>         For real work my workstation runs SCSI LVD (Ultra2 Wide) and
>         FreeBSD.  Even good SCSI hardware is cheap enough these days that
>         IDE/UDMA makes less and less sense in the big picture, except for
>         cheap game boxes like my above example.

I think you're right.  My computer only has UDMA/33 built in, so I'd
have to buy an UDMA66 controller card just to get more speed out of
the newer IDE drivers.  Might as well spend a few extra pennies and
get a SCSI drive instead.

- Donn

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> ...  Might as well spend a few extra pennies and
> get a SCSI drive instead.

At least you'd get something that has a well-established standard
then. ;-)  (Of course, unless you buy Quantum drives... but that's
another matter.)

When it comes to April Fool's Day again, a reading in the ATA
`standard' always makes for a good laughter.  If you want i can pick
you up the spot where they are even using the word ``may be''.  Inside
a `standard'!

(SCNR...)
--

Post by Sal Dena » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>>- no nice menu driven administration tool for system

>Be a real sysdamin, for God's sake!  GUI admin tools are for wimps!  :-)

Try webmin http://www.webmin.com/

Works on *BSD*, Linux and Solaris... and it looks and acts the same on
all of them.

Quote:>>- bad support for graphic cards under XFree

>You're blaming FreeBSD for this?  XFree86 is a completely independent
>project.  Take it up with them.

Just because it isn't their fault doesn't mean he can't blame them :)

Quote:>>- documentation
>Improving all the time.

I wish someone at O'Reilly would do a "FreeBSD in a nutshell" book...

--

Salvatore Denaro

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by Christoph Weber-Fa » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

[... some stuff he thought 3.1 lacked ...]

Quote:>>- no support for Fritz!-ISDN card
>Don't know about this one.

Hm.... IIRC the Fritz! is one of the best supported cards
under i4b at all. Now the Fritz! PCI is another thing, but
IIRC it's now supported as well.

Quote:>>- bad support for graphic cards under XFree
>You're blaming FreeBSD for this?  XFree86 is a completely independent
>project.  Take it up with them.

Not only 'take up with them', since hes happy with Linux he should
note that their support for graphics hardware is equivalent with that
of FreeBSD since both rely on XFRee86. (with the notable exception
of Suse, who decided sharpening their profile as an open source company
by distributing binary only proprietary XFree Versions with some
more drivers).

Regards

Christoph Weber-Fahr
--

--------------------------  My personal opinion only    ---------------------

FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

Post by Nick K » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hm.... IIRC the Fritz! is one of the best supported cards
> under i4b at all. Now the Fritz! PCI is another thing, but
> IIRC it's now supported as well.

It is under 3.4 - I actually moved mine from a Linux box.  OTOH I haven't
figured out how to get it to work with a dynamic IP (at both ends),
so the card's probably going back to Linux very shortly.

Quote:> Not only 'take up with them', since hes happy with Linux he should
> note that their support for graphics hardware is equivalent with that
> of FreeBSD since both rely on XFRee86.  (with the notable exception
> of Suse, who decided sharpening their profile as an open source company
> by distributing binary only proprietary XFree Versions with some
> more drivers).

Really?  Are you sure that's not MetroX or other commercial X?
If the developers signed NDAs, then they may have had no option but
binary-only.  Just Say No to the hardware in question.

--
Nick Kew

We're so advanced here ... our nearest main road is A 386

1. Netscape 4.7 for FreeBSD 2.2x does not run on FreeBSD 3.4

Hi.
I have FreeBSD 3.4 (the latest) and the installation tar.gz of Netscape
4.7.  I ran it on my previous version of FreeBSD (2.2.8).  However, when I
ran it on FreeBSD 3.4,  I got this message:

ld.so not found

So, I went to netscape and found this page:
http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19990801-1.html
that told me EXACTLY how to fix it. Great, I thought. The netscape folks
are good at tech support. I followed the instructions.
Now I get this:

Shared library libXt.so.6.0 not found.

This is ridiculous.
What should I do?
Thanks in advance.

2. IP Masq Problems - Slow, unreliable connection<

3. CVS - Not really FreeBSD, but I expect a few FreeBSD users are familiar with CVS !

4. BROADCASTING,UDP

5. Java with HotSpot on FreeBSD (Was: Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java)

6. Sound module: mixer settings

7. FreeBSD 4.5 vs. FreeBSD 3.2 - Which One

8. tracedump on Netscape server

9. Use FreeBSD telnet to FreeBSD problem

10. ideas od perf of samba + freebsd vs nfs + freebsd

11. IBM JDK on FreeBSD (Was: JDK 1.3.1 on Freebsd?)

12. Wine problem under Freebsd (maybe freebsd ports?)

13. EIDE & FreeBSD; Windows NT 3.51 & FreeBSD.