what happened to i386 cross-platform compatibility?

what happened to i386 cross-platform compatibility?

Post by Gunther Schado » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

there was once a rumor that FreeBSD, Linux and SCO would come up with a
common specification of executable code, what happened to this project?

another rumor said that a future versions of GCC or GNU binutils (?)
would
provide cross platform capability so that you can use (or convert?)
binaries
and (shared?)libraries created, say, for FreeBSD on Linux and vice
versa.

of course I know that FreeBSD has Linux binary compatibility and cross-
platform development suites for Linux and SCO.

my practical problem is, I have static libraries of some high level
stuff
written and compiled for Linux. Is there any way I could link against
those
on FreeBSD? Is there any way to reuse Linux shared libraries?

So many questions. I need to recap on the general direction we are
going.
I have a very responsive software vendor, who would like to save time on
cross platform work if he could. But would also provide native FreeBSD
libraries if nothing else works.

thanks for your wise words :-)
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow -----------------------------------
http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu

<usual/disclaimer>

1. Cross-Platform Wav C library?

        Hello.

        Belive it or not, I'm looking for a C library o functions
for reading .WAV files under UNIX. I've found some things under
Windows, but my program will need a machine bigger than a PC
to run.
        The format of the sound file is not a must be, but I already
        have players and documentation for the WAV, and so I'm trying
        to stick to it.
        No matter If the library is designed for PC-use while it
        hasn't any API dependencies, or so. The more standard, the better.

        Thank you very much for your attention.

                Juan Alvarez Ferrando.

2. Loop Device how-to ???

3. wxWindows 2.4.1 for cross-platform GUI apps

4. SIOCADDRT Error Message

5. Announce: lib3d-0.1.7 - Fast, Free, Cross-platform 3d

6. Traffic Manager + Linux

7. Cross-platform Calendar Manager?

8. Can't detect SCSI+Adaptec AIC 7850 Hard Disk

9. REVOLUTION CROSS-PLATFORM IDE LAUNCHED

10. (Open)LDAP server for cross-platform authentication..

11. Cross-platform backups via tar/dump/other?

12. roadmap to cross-platform mail setup?

13. C/C++ Cross-platform *text-based* API