Help for Install UNIX SCO 5.0.0b

Post by José Torric » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:48:35

I need install UNIX SCO 5.0.0b, my UNIX cdrom dont booting in my PC.  I
dont have boot floppy, I need know if the UNIX cdrom have the this boot
floppy images and tools for creation this boot floppy.

Apologies for my bad english

Jos Torrico

Post by Jason Dento » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:01:03

> I need install UNIX SCO 5.0.0b, my UNIX cdrom dont booting in my PC.  I
> dont have boot floppy, I need know if the UNIX cdrom have the this boot
> floppy images and tools for creation this boot floppy.

> Apologies for my bad english

> Jos Torrico

First, your asking this question in the wrong news group. SCO UNIX is
not freebsd, it is unlikely anybody here can answer your question about
that operating system.

That said, why not take the time and try FreeBSD? It is an excellent,
top flight FREE unix system. SCO has been bought out by a linux company,
and it looks like support for SCO unix is limited as the product is
being discountinued. On the other hand, FreeBSD is very much alive and
under going continous development. I also believe it has the ability to
run SCO programs through a very efficent "emulation" mode, so you should
be able to run most of your old SCO programs on your new FreeBSD system.
But I haven't tried this myself, so you might want to read up on the
subject first.

You can download an iso image for freebsd, see www.freebsd.org for a
list of mirror sites. This iso can then be burned onto a CD, and should
then be bootable. Alternatively, the previously mentioned web site
includes instructions for creating the floppies needed to install the OS
via ftp, you don't need a CD at all. Or buy the FreeBSD package from
www.walnutcreek.com and get disks and books.

Jason Denton

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:49:18

>I need install UNIX SCO 5.0.0b, my UNIX cdrom dont booting in
>my PC. I dont have boot floppy, I need know if the UNIX cdrom
>have the this boot floppy images and tools for creation this boot
>floppy.

The floppies are on that disk.  But let me give you a word of
advice DO NOT INSTALL 5.0.0.  It was really buggy.  I held on
anyone running 3.2.4.x until at the least 5.0.2 came out.  It took
until 5.0.5 to get things really stable, IMO.  The 5.0.6 came out
last August.  5.0.0 had scads of networking problems.  As long as
you don't want to run TCP/IP you might be ok.

If it's for your own use you can get a free license from SCO
for the current 5.0.6 and then just borrow the media.

I support customers on the 5.x products and my favorite OS - and the
one I run at the ISP - is FreeBSD.

Bill