yppasswd with NIS

yppasswd with NIS

Post by Miled Tezeghdant » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Hi,

Anyone have yppasswd operating with NIS can tell me what he added in his
rc.conf?
Because it always display user unknown. I had rpc.yppasswdd running on
the master server and ypbind on clients. Of course I can login using NIS
but I can't change passwords.

Thanks in adavnce.

 
 
 

yppasswd with NIS

Post by Uwe Laveren » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Hi Miled,

Quote:> Anyone have yppasswd operating with NIS can tell me what he added in his
> rc.conf?

nis_client_enable="YES"
nisdomainname="yournisdomainname"

Quote:> Because it always display user unknown. I had rpc.yppasswdd running on
> the master server and ypbind on clients. Of course I can login using NIS
> but I can't change passwords.

Hm, silly question: did you modify the passwd and group files? You must
add (without quotes) "+:::" to /etc/group and "+:::::::::" to passwd
(vipw).

Uwe

 
 
 

yppasswd with NIS

Post by Frédéric Hab » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> Hi Miled,

> > Anyone have yppasswd operating with NIS can tell me what he added in his
> > rc.conf?

> nis_client_enable="YES"
> nisdomainname="yournisdomainname"

did you add :

nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"  # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or NO).
nis_yppasswdd_flags="-a -t /var/yp/etc/master.passwd" # Flags to
rpc.yppasswdd.

Sorry, I can't even remember were I got that from, nor what the options
mean. At least it works for me (on a 3.4-STABLE machine)

Quote:> > Because it always display user unknown. I had rpc.yppasswdd running on
> > the master server and ypbind on clients. Of course I can login using NIS
> > but I can't change passwords.
> Hm, silly question: did you modify the passwd and group files? You must
> add (without quotes) "+:::" to /etc/group and "+:::::::::" to passwd
> (vipw).

> Uwe

--


 
 
 

yppasswd with NIS

Post by Uwe Laveren » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Hi Frdric,

Quote:> did you add :

> nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"  # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or NO).
> nis_yppasswdd_flags="-a -t /var/yp/etc/master.passwd" # Flags to
> rpc.yppasswdd.

> Sorry, I can't even remember were I got that from, nor what the options
> mean. At least it works for me (on a 3.4-STABLE machine)

Your running this on your NIS _server_, do you? This is not needed on
NIS _client_ machines.

Uwe

 
 
 

yppasswd with NIS

Post by Miled Tezeghdant » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00


I have done all this but it still displays: "yppasswd: unknown NIS user: miled".
I can log on all clients using NIS database. The problem is only i can't change
passwords.
In the rc.conf of master server I have :
nisdomainname="armornet"
nis_server_enable="YES"
nis_client_enable="YES"
nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"
nis_yppasswdd_flags="-a -t /var/yp/master.passwd"

In rc.conf of clients:
nisdomainname="armornet"
nis_client_enable="YES"

I have another question about 3.4-STABLE. I don't see it in the directory
releases/i386/, I just have 3.4-RELEASE so where I can find it?

Thank you for help.



> > Hi Miled,

> > > Anyone have yppasswd operating with NIS can tell me what he added in his
> > > rc.conf?

> > nis_client_enable="YES"
> > nisdomainname="yournisdomainname"

> did you add :

> nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"  # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or NO).
> nis_yppasswdd_flags="-a -t /var/yp/etc/master.passwd" # Flags to
> rpc.yppasswdd.

> Sorry, I can't even remember were I got that from, nor what the options
> mean. At least it works for me (on a 3.4-STABLE machine)

> > > Because it always display user unknown. I had rpc.yppasswdd running on
> > > the master server and ypbind on clients. Of course I can login using NIS
> > > but I can't change passwords.
> > Hm, silly question: did you modify the passwd and group files? You must
> > add (without quotes) "+:::" to /etc/group and "+:::::::::" to passwd
> > (vipw).

> > Uwe

> --



 
 
 

yppasswd with NIS

Post by Frédéric Hab » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> I have done all this but it still displays: "yppasswd: unknown NIS user: miled".
> I can log on all clients using NIS database. The problem is only i can't change
> passwords.
> In the rc.conf of master server I have :
> nisdomainname="armornet"
> nis_server_enable="YES"
> nis_client_enable="YES"
> nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"
> nis_yppasswdd_flags="-a -t /var/yp/master.passwd"

> In rc.conf of clients:
> nisdomainname="armornet"
> nis_client_enable="YES"

> I have another question about 3.4-STABLE. I don't see it in the directory
> releases/i386/, I just have 3.4-RELEASE so where I can find it?

Sorry for my too quick answer to your NIS problem.  I remember having
the same problem long ago, but can't remember out how I solved it. Why
don't you try erasing your compiled NIS passwd tables and rebuilding
them it case it gets better.

As for -STABLE, it's not a release, you're run it by using cvsup to get
the latest sources from a cvsup server and the compiling and upgrading
the whole OS. The process is quite easy and well documented in the
handbook - chapter 18 (regarding CVSup) and by Nik Clayton's tutorial on
"make world" (about rebuilding the OS). The initial CVSup my take time
if your link is slow, but deltas are afterwards quite fast to download.

--


 
 
 

yppasswd with NIS

Post by 97D070 » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Hello
we are trying to configure a FreeBSD 3.1 machine to act as an NIS client
on our network.We already have an NIS server running RedHatLinux 6.0.
having edited /etc/master.passwd ,/etc/group and /etc/host.conf and
after running ypbind, i am able to finger users on the server but when
i try to log in using the password on the NIS , the login fails.Moreover,
when i try to do an su and then try yppasswd , after asking for my old
password on the NIS server, it says sorry and exits.
we have been trying to figure this out for quite some time but with no
luck.We are really keen on getting FreeBSD onto our network but the
machine would be a waste without NIS.
could some one please help me out?
Thanks in advance
jug
 
 
 

yppasswd with NIS

Post by Vince Fil » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00


nis_domain="whatever-yours-is"
nis_server_enable="YES"
nis_server_flags=""
nis_ypset_enable="YES"
nis_yppassword_enable="YES"
nis_yppassword_flags=""

then you may want to nfs mount their home directories and/or  other stuff

- Vince


>Hi,

>Anyone have yppasswd operating with NIS can tell me what he added in his
>rc.conf?
>Because it always display user unknown. I had rpc.yppasswdd running on
>the master server and ypbind on clients. Of course I can login using NIS
>but I can't change passwords.

>Thanks in adavnce.

 
 
 

1. Why doesn't passwd/yppasswd update NIS passwd maps?

We've got a NIS password updating problem that seems a bit strange to
me:

We're running an AIX 4.2 host as our NIS master and have a couple of
other AIX, Solaris 2 boxes as NIS clients.

If I change my password on one of the NIS client machines, the NIS-
password map on the NIS server is automatically updated. Just fine!

BUT, if I change my password on the NIS master, only the local password
entry is changed. The NIS password is still the old one!

Anyone got any ideas on why this is? Or where to start looking?

TIA!
//Fredrik

--

  Fredrik Olsson                PHONE :+46 (0) 8 621 97 44
  Celera AB                     FAX   :+46 (0) 8 621 97 70    

  S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden     WWW   :http://www.celera.se/~fxo

2. X server exiting

3. Prolem in executing passwd or yppasswd with NIS

4. Apache update from SuSE ??

5. NIS+, NIS and yppasswd

6. Deleting mail in Evolution Annoyance?

7. NIS help: yppasswd fails.....

8. : X on TSENG W32P rev. d 2MB

9. NIS yppasswd problem

10. nis compatible mode and yppasswd on client

11. problems with NIS/NYS ypserv and yppasswd

12. NIS kit on Solaris 2.5: yppasswd