Connecting to ISP Error: NO CARRIER

Post by Wayne Peacoc » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:59:42

I have just installed BSD 4.4
I want to connect to my ISP, Earthlink.
I went into Internet Dialer and put in the specifications for
Earthilink.

When I attempt to connect, I hear the modem and I hear a connection
but then it bombs out and says "NO CARRIER"

What happened?

Connecting to ISP Error: NO CARRIER

Post by fozekize » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:26:14

ahh. dialup connections how i hate thee.
bad handshake more than likely.
1. did you have an okay connection prior to installing BSD?
have you:
2.  checked your phone line (ie, made sure it worked)?
3. verified all of Earthlink's information (phone number, dns etc)?
4. made sure BSD actually installed the correct modem?( should have but
worth the check just as a troubleshooting measure)
5. gone through and made sure ppp.conf is correct?

just for kicks and grins, plug in a telephone and listen for static. if you
hear a bunch of static then your connection will hang regularly. if you
don't then either you need a new ELN phone number or you screwed up
somewhere in the dial up settings.
i'll do some checking as its been a long time since i used bsd for dialup
but as of right now my best guess is that the problem lies somewhere between
your bsd box and the earthlink dial in box. there should be ways to force
the handshake. anyone?

--
--charlie pelletier
--litmus(mp3.com/litmus)