Installing, Upgrading, and Removing...

Post by Jake » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:50:41

I've been through the handbook a few times trying to figure this one
out...gimme some help...

I have let's say "MyPort v.1"...

So I run..make..

Then I run..make install..

So "MyPort v.1" is now installed on my system...well they just release
"MyPort v.2"....figures.

Do I have to remove "MyPort v.1" before installing "MyPort v.2"? Or is it
safe to make install "MyPort v.2" over "MyPort v.1"?

So once a port has been installed it is considered a "package"? Does it show
up in the package database? Can it be manipulated with the pkg commands?

Thank You!

- Jake

--
"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous. Don't be
alarmed."

Installing, Upgrading, and Removing...

Post by Jake » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:42:46

Sorry about the double post...or test post showing up at the top of the
list....

My ISP just rudely cut my news account on one server and notified me to use
a new one...that sucks.

- Jake

--
"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous. Don't be
alarmed."
-W. Wonka

> I've been through the handbook a few times trying to figure this one
> out...gimme some help...

> I have let's say "MyPort v.1"...

> So I run..make..

> Then I run..make install..

> So "MyPort v.1" is now installed on my system...well they just release
> "MyPort v.2"....figures.

> Do I have to remove "MyPort v.1" before installing "MyPort v.2"? Or is it
> safe to make install "MyPort v.2" over "MyPort v.1"?

> So once a port has been installed it is considered a "package"? Does it
show
> up in the package database? Can it be manipulated with the pkg commands?

> Thank You!

> - Jake

> --
> "Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous. Don't be
> alarmed."
> -W. Wonka

Installing, Upgrading, and Removing...

Post by Alastair G. Hogg » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:54:38

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:50 in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,

> I've been through the handbook a few times trying to figure this one
> out...gimme some help...

> I have let's say "MyPort v.1"...

> So I run..make..

> Then I run..make install..

> So "MyPort v.1" is now installed on my system...well they just
> release "MyPort v.2"....figures.

> Do I have to remove "MyPort v.1" before installing "MyPort v.2"? Or
> is it safe to make install "MyPort v.2" over "MyPort v.1"?

You seek portupgrade.
It will download and install new versions and remove old versions.
I also think it can install v1 ports and install the same port when
it reaches v2. So the can have MyPort v1 and MyPort v2 install and
running at the same time.

Quote:> So once a port has been installed it is considered a "package"? Does
> it show up in the package database? Can it be manipulated with the
> pkg commands?

Yes it shows up in the package data base.
You can use the pkg_* cmds on it also.

For example:
/usr/ports/emulation/bochs
make install # will leave source and things in work/
make clean will remove work/ and whatever else of the port that isn't
but of the base/skeleton.

Quote:> Thank You!

No prob...I hope I was helpful.

-Alastair

1. Installing, Upgrading, and Removing..

[...]

2. Apache log files (a bit off topic)

3. Upgrade install removing files

4. QOS with TC and multiple LAN devices

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. When did I lost packets?

7. problems with add/remove scsi device after upgrading to 7.2

8. Purify(tm)-like shareware???

9. ld.so upgrade removed all systemfiles

10. problems with add/remove scsi device after upgrading to 7.2

11. Upgrade to Netscape, remove HotJava (Solaris 7)

12. Do I need to remove patches before upgrading ?

13. upgrade from Solaris 2.3 to 2.5: install program tries to do new install