Starting Apache on boot

Post by Dmitriy Fitiso » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 11:41:18

Hi,
1.How do I start Apache on boot in FreeBSD 4.3?
2.And may I specify account under which it will be running?
Thanks.

Starting Apache on boot

Post by Mike Andre » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:36:09

: Hi,
: 1.How do I start Apache on boot in FreeBSD 4.3?
: 2.And may I specify account under which it will be running?
: Thanks.

man crontab, with special reference to /etc/crontab, which is
special and lets you specify accountnames for processes started
by it.

--
"Go cut down the carcass of the Duke of Longmot. Cut through the
intestines that keep him* from the keep, then fling the

Starting Apache on boot

Post by Paul A. Hoadl » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:49:10

> Hi,
> 1.How do I start Apache on boot in FreeBSD 4.3?

If you installed it from the ports, it should have copied a file 'apache.sh'
into /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ .  As with every file ending in .sh in this
directory, the system will attempt to run it with an argument of 'start' at
boot time, and an argument of 'stop' on shutdown.  (If you didn't, you'll
need to look for apache.sh or its equivalent in the archive you downloaded.)

Quote:> 2.And may I specify account under which it will be running?

Sure you may.  This is straight from httpd.conf:

---
# If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
# httpd as root initially and it will switch.
---

The two directives you will want to look up are 'User' and 'Group', both
of which live in httpd.conf.

--
Paul.

Starting Apache on boot

Post by Paul A. Hoadl » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:02:43

>: 2.And may I specify account under which it will be running?

> man crontab, with special reference to /etc/crontab, which is
> special and lets you specify accountnames for processes started
> by it.

Unless you plan on maybe restarting Apache regularly with cron (!) that
may not be the best way.  httpd.conf has directives for specifying the
user and group to run as.

--
Paul.

Starting Apache on boot

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:10:40

>1.How do I start Apache on boot in FreeBSD 4.3?

Startup is typically in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh

Quote:>2.And may I specify account under which it will be running?

It's in the httpd.conf/apache.conf file.  With directions.

--

Starting Apache on boot

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:12:51

>: Hi,
>: 1.How do I start Apache on boot in FreeBSD 4.3?
>: 2.And may I specify account under which it will be running?
>: Thanks.
>man crontab, with special reference to /etc/crontab, which is
>special and lets you specify accountnames for processes started
>by it.

The cron system doesn't start apache.  The user under which apache
is to run is specified in the configuration file.

--

1. Starting Apache on boot - question

I've just installed Apache 1.3.6 on a machine running Mandrake 6 (kernel
2.2.9).  I had Apache running on it before, but due to some improper
shutdowns of the machine it developed errors.  Rather than tool with the
old configuration files to see what was wrong I just installed the new
version.  My problem is this:

When I reboot the machine it is still looking in the old place for
Apache (something like /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is what the error
message says).  I can start Apache from the command line once the
machine is up (/var/apache/apache_1.3.6/bin/apachectl start) and
restarting inetd.  As a relative newbie to configuring httpd, how do I
get it to start Apache on boot rather than looking to
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf?  I've looked around Apache's site and on the
web but I can't seem to find the answer to this seemingly simple
question.

Thanks!

Colten

--
Colten Noakes

Genesis Studios
A Full Service Web Design Agency

http://www.genesis-studios.cc
--

2. Stupid problem-- need to run insmod manually...

3. solaris9 apache don't start at boot

4. X graphics libs??

5. start apache at boot time

6. Backspace question

7. Starting Apache on Boot

8. BBS under Linux

9. Starting Apache 2.0.39 at Boot-Time with Redhat 7.3

10. How to auto-start apache when AIX boot.

11. starting Apache from boot on AIX using RC.LOCAL

12. Apache doesn't start at boot time

13. How do I start Apache at boot up?