FreeBSD 3.0-current and Fat32---HELP!

Post by Ryan Thompso » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello everyone!

I have run FreeBSD Stable (most recently version 2.2.6), but, after
reading that the current build of 3.0 supports FAT32 partitions, I made
the decision to make the switch.  As I wanted to reslice my second drive
(the BSD drive) I backed up the necessary files and wiped it clean after
I had downloaded the most recent FreeBSD snapshot earlier that day.

However, after making a new boot/install floppy from the current
release, and booting into the all-too familiar installer, I attempted to
select "DOS" as my installation media.  When asked which
drive/controller I wished to install from, I picked the first IDE drive
on the first controller (the FAT32 formatted drive with ONE primary
partition on it, with the FreeBSD binaries in C:\FreeBSD\)  But the
install program reported it could not find any files on the selected
media.

Perhaps Fat32 support is only available when mounting DOS drives from a
working 3.0 install, and not through the installation bootdisk?
(different kernel builds..??)

FYI... The intended drive is partitioned as a single, primary 8.4GB
partition under Win95 OSR 2.1.  (The drive is EIDE).  I can supply you
with drive geometry and other information if needed.

Any help or additional insight would be appreciated!

- Ryan Thompson

FreeBSD 3.0-current and Fat32---HELP!

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

2.2.7 also supports vfat and fat32.  You might want to give that a try
also.  Also, the install floppy's fat32 code is completely different
from the msdosfs code in FreeBSD.

- K.C.

> Hello everyone!

> I have run FreeBSD Stable (most recently version 2.2.6), but, after
> reading that the current build of 3.0 supports FAT32 partitions, I made
> the decision to make the switch.  As I wanted to reslice my second drive
> (the BSD drive) I backed up the necessary files and wiped it clean after
> I had downloaded the most recent FreeBSD snapshot earlier that day.

> However, after making a new boot/install floppy from the current
> release, and booting into the all-too familiar installer, I attempted to
> select "DOS" as my installation media.  When asked which
> drive/controller I wished to install from, I picked the first IDE drive
> on the first controller (the FAT32 formatted drive with ONE primary
> partition on it, with the FreeBSD binaries in C:\FreeBSD\)  But the
> install program reported it could not find any files on the selected
> media.

> Perhaps Fat32 support is only available when mounting DOS drives from a
> working 3.0 install, and not through the installation bootdisk?
> (different kernel builds..??)

> FYI... The intended drive is partitioned as a single, primary 8.4GB
> partition under Win95 OSR 2.1.  (The drive is EIDE).  I can supply you
> with drive geometry and other information if needed.

> Any help or additional insight would be appreciated!

> - Ryan Thompson

1. ucd-snmp 3.?.? and FreeBSD 3.0-current

I've just had a look in dejanews and can't find an obvious answer so I'll ask
here-

Does anyone have a working version of ucd-snmp running on FreeBSD 3.0-current
(or a fairly recent SNAP)?  I've tried building 3.3.1 using the latest
ports.tgz pulled from the 980426 SNAP but the patches don't apply!

Tony

2. System Admin. needed

3. FreeBSD 3.0-current panics on reboot

4. Convert from NT -> *nix

5. Compiling KDE in FreeBSD 3.0-Current

6. proxy questions

7. I want ot get FreeBSD 3.0 current

8. read/write serial port

9. GUS MIDI in FreeBSD 3.0-current

10. Error from Buslogic BT 948 in FreeBSD 3.0 CURRENT

11. Performance of native FreeBSD partition vs FAT32 partition on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE

12. help! kernel panic freebsd 4.5 mounting FAT32