ATI Xpert LCD & XFree86 3.3.6

Post by Andrew Munkre » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone got this video card with a digital LCD monitor to work with
XFree86 3.3.6? I had tried it with version 3.3.5 and it didn't work. The
FAQ said that there was a known fix for this problem, but it still isn't
working, even though it now lists the chipset for that card (Rage LT Pro)
in xf86config. In both versions, the XF86_Mach64 server refuses to start,
saying "None of the configured devices were detected." I can't run
XF86Setup because I built it from the ports tree on an Alpha computer and
the version there (I donloaded the new port files today) doesn't build the
XF86_VGA16 server because of some problem (it doesnt even try to; it even
says that in sysinstall.) I tried to build without the patches in the
ports tree but the compiler didn't like some of the source files. I also
tried to set up the Linux emulator so that I could run a Linux/alpha
binary of XF86_VGA16 from ftp.xfree86.org, but that didn't work either (it
seems that there isn't a Linux emulator in FreeBSD/alpha 3.4-RELEASE.)
XF86_Mono will run, but the image is all wrong. XF86_SVGA also runs, but
the mouse pointer doesn't work correctly! and the resolution is only
320*204! Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

ATI Xpert LCD & XFree86 3.3.6

Post by Uwe Laveren » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi Andrew,

Quote:> Has anyone got this video card with a digital LCD monitor to work with
> XFree86 3.3.6? I had tried it with version 3.3.5 and it didn't work. The
> FAQ said that there was a known fix for this problem, but it still isn't
> working, even though it now lists the chipset for that card (Rage LT Pro)
> in xf86config. In both versions, the XF86_Mach64 server refuses to start,

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, and the solution was: don't use
XF86_Mach64, try XF86_SVGA instead. This worked for my Rage LT Pro.

hope it helps,
Uwe

1. Xfree86-4.2.1not working on ATI Xpert LCD

Hi, folks.

Today I installed Vine linux (Japanese enhanced linux based on
Redhat) which came with XFree86-4.2.1 not working on my system.
Please help!

The situation is as follows.

I first installed Vine linux on my PC (mobo:ASUS P55T2P4,
video:ATI Xpert LCD, monitor:Dell ES-17). This distro checks
if the X server works fine or not right after finishing all the
files. I made sure that X works fine at 1024x768 and 1280x1024
resolution.

However, after I rebooted and XDM was launched, the monitor
becomes blinking and nothing displayed on it. It seemed like
the X server was not configured properly, due to some wrong
parameters in XF86Config-4. So I rebooted again with text mode,
logged in as root and rebuilt XF86Config-4 by using Xconfigurator
again. But the X server doesn't work in the final check at the
end of the configuration process. The monitor is just blinking
and nothing displayed on it.

I tried again and again with changing the options. Then I found
that X server works if I choose the lowest resolution and the
lowest refresh rate, meaning 640x480 at 60Hz.

Strangely enough, I checked the real vertical refresh rate in this
condition and found it to be 123 Hz, more than double of the
configured value. I again rebuilt the XF86Config-4 so that X server
does NOT work. Then I checked the vertical refresh rate and it
was found to be 174 Hz.

In summary, X server worked fine only during the installation
process of Vine linux. After the installation is finished and
the system is rebooted, X server works only at VGA resolution
and is screwed up at any higher resolutions.

So my question is,

1: Is XFree86-4.2.1 working on your ATI Xpert LCD card?
   If it is, how did you configure X?

2: Is there any possibility that only SVGA server works on this
   card? If so, how can I switch the Xserver from Mach64 to SVGA?

3: If you need more info for answering my question, what should I
   check and report?

4: Is there any info source I should look into to solve this
   problem?

Thanks in advance.
Shingo

2. Time synchronizer with atomic time

3. Linux Xfree86 runs on LX | VP-3 AGP motherboard slot with ATI Xpert@Play | Xpert@Work

4. connecting to cvs server

5. ATI Xpert@Play AGP vs. ATI Xpert@Play 98 AGP

6. Did ARCserve eat my CDROM?

7. ATI Xpert 2000, ATI Radeon, Matrox G450 with XFree86

8. Using LILO, how to boot Linux from logical partition?

9. XFree86 Version 4.0.1a (RH 7.0) & ATI Xpert 2000 AGP

10. ati xpert@lcd graphic adapter

11. ATI Xpert LCD ?

12. Is there a driver for the ATI Xpert LCD graphics card?

13. ATI Xpert LCD