Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

Post by Jaso » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:48:32

I doubt if anyone can help me with this, as I've searched for hours
trying to find an answer.  I just want my delete key to delete the
character at the current cursor position, rather than performing the
same function as the backspace key.  As it stands, both the delete and
backspace key delete the character previous to the current current
position.  my erase and erase2 stty variables are both set to ^H.
I've tried setting them to ^? using:

stty erase '^?'

but nothing happened.  Someone suggested I try creating a .inputrc
file and including:

"\e[3~": delete-char

But that did nothing.  I've tried setting TERM to vt100, vt220,
cons25, and a few others.  If you know what's going on, please, can
you give me exact steps as to what I should do to get it to work?  I'm
fairly new at using FreeBSD, as I've made apparent by this post :P
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

Post by Edward Ned Harve » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:10:42

> I doubt if anyone can help me with this, as I've searched for hours
> trying to find an answer.  I just want my delete key to delete the
> character at the current cursor position, rather than performing the
> same function as the backspace key.  As it stands, both the delete and
> backspace key delete the character previous to the current current
> position.  my erase and erase2 stty variables are both set to ^H.
> I've tried setting them to ^? using:

> stty erase '^?'

> but nothing happened.  Someone suggested I try creating a .inputrc
> file and including:

> "\e[3~": delete-char

> But that did nothing.  I've tried setting TERM to vt100, vt220,
> cons25, and a few others.  If you know what's going on, please, can
> you give me exact steps as to what I should do to get it to work?  I'm
> fairly new at using FreeBSD, as I've made apparent by this post :P
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks!

> Jason

I assume the problem you're experiencing is through some telnet client.
Tell me if I'm wrong about that.

If you have the ability to modify your keymaps, try these:
Ctrl-D and Ctrl-H

Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

Post by jp » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:21:08

[snip]

Quote:> I just want my delete key to delete the
> character at the current cursor position, rather than performing the
> same function as the backspace key.

Have a look at kbdcontrol(1) and kbdmap(1).

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:15:40

>I doubt if anyone can help me with this, as I've searched for hours
>trying to find an answer.  I just want my delete key to delete the
>character at the current cursor position, rather than performing the
>same function as the backspace key.  As it stands, both the delete and
>backspace key delete the character previous to the current current
>position.  my erase and erase2 stty variables are both set to ^H.
>I've tried setting them to ^? using:

>stty erase '^?'

Did stty erase  Ctrl-v <delete key> work.

Works fine for me.

Quote:>but nothing happened.  Someone suggested I try creating a .inputrc
>file and including:

>"\e[3~": delete-char

Why would that map the ^?  ??

Bill
--

1. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

<if this is a repeat I apologize, for some reason the campus news server is
acting up and none of my posts went through...>

whenever I hit the backspace key in Netscape 405 it deleted the
character to the right of the cursor, basically acting like the delete
key.  This only seems to occur in Netscape.  If you have any ideas on
how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.  thanks ahead of time.

//Pascal

ps: running RedHat 5.0

2. su to root stops working

3. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

4. Need help with adb/dbx (simple)

5. backspace key is behaving like a delete key

6. Printing Postscript with knews ?

7. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

8. A minimal 'man' page for the 'ip' command

9. X, bash, delete/backspace keys

10. backspace and delete keys in xterm under XDM behave strangely.

11. Delete Key versus Backspace

12. aterm Delete key = Backspace

13. Backspace and Delete key