Restricted FTP/telnet access?

Post by Dave » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

How can I set up a new user so that they have FTP access into their home
directory, but can't telnet into the same server?

Is there a way of restricting FTP directory access so that they can go down
into the directory tree, but not up into /home?

TIA

Restricted FTP/telnet access?

Post by Steve Rawlins » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I set up a new user so that they have FTP access into their home
>directory, but can't telnet into the same server?

Give them a non-existant shell (and add it to /etc/shells).

Quote:>Is there a way of restricting FTP directory access so that they can go down
>into the directory tree, but not up into /home?

Yes, ftpd do a chroot for members of certain groups. Read the man page
for ftpaccess.

steve

--
Steve Rawlinson
Claranet Systems

0171 903 3000

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> How can I set up a new user so that they have FTP access into their home
> directory, but can't telnet into the same server?

Review the login(1) manpage and look specifically at the section on the
/etc/login.access file.

Quote:> Is there a way of restricting FTP directory access so that they can go down
> into the directory tree, but not up into /home?

Review the ftp(8) manpage and review the section on the /etc/ftpchroot
file.

- K.C.

Restricted FTP/telnet access?

Post by Dave » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Thank you gentlemen.