question on install from DOS partition

Post by Michael Jaskowia » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

hello.

        I may be wasting bandwidth with this post because at the moment, I
don't have any plans to install FreeBSD from a DOS partition.  I am
wondering about what happens if you have a DOS partition with the
FreeBSD installation files on it and select using the entire HDD for
FreeBSD.  When it lays out the partitions would it erase the
installation files?  If not, how does that work?  Just curious.

Michael

question on install from DOS partition

Post by Fewt » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:52:56 -0400, Michael Jaskowiak

>hello.

>    I may be wasting bandwidth with this post because at the moment, I
>don't have any plans to install FreeBSD from a DOS partition.

Nope, these posts get archived and will be available on Dejanews for
future questioners.  So your question isn't wasting bandwidth.

Quote:>I am
>wondering about what happens if you have a DOS partition with the
>FreeBSD installation files on it and select using the entire HDD for
>FreeBSD.  When it lays out the partitions would it erase the
>installation files?  If not, how does that work?  Just curious.

This seems like it should be obvious, but I'll answer anyway.  The
answer to your question is yes.  When you use the FreeBSD partitioning
utility, you have to delete the DOS partition and recreate it as a
FreeBSD partition.  At that point, your DOS installation files are
gone, and you're s*#t out of luck.  You would need a separate DOS
partition untouched by FreeBSD if you want the "install from DOS
partition" option.

 -----

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> hello.

>         I may be wasting bandwidth with this post because at the moment, I
> don't have any plans to install FreeBSD from a DOS partition.  I am
> wondering about what happens if you have a DOS partition with the
> FreeBSD installation files on it and select using the entire HDD for
> FreeBSD.  When it lays out the partitions would it erase the
> installation files?  If not, how does that work?  Just curious.

> Michael

I don't think it would work since the partition editor and newfs'er do
their thing before the installer does.  I would assume that the dos
partition would be history long before the installer starts.

- K.C.

1. question: install on a DOS partition

I have two IDE hard disks: c:245k and 340k (d:1??k and e: 1??k, I do not quite
remember). I tried to install Linux yesterday on a dos partition.  The boot
(bare) and root (color144) disks worked fine.  But I think something wrong happened when I tried to make other Linux partitions under the second 340k hard
disks.

1. "fdisk" told me that I had three partitions on Hard Disk B (/hdb1, hdb2, and
   /hdb5).
2. I could not create new logical partitions because there was no sector
   available.
3. When I tried to create another primary partition, fdisk suggested area (1010
   - 1010).  After I created a new partition, fdisk told me that the new
   partition did not end with a sector boundary.

Could someone show me what went wrong?  Thanks for your help.

Shouwen
Shouwen Fu                            Intel Corporation, M/S FM3-94

(916) 356-3531                        Folsom, CA 95630, USA

2. Free *nix on RS/6000?

3. Installing Linux native partition over DOS Extented partition?

4. What is where in Debian?

5. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

6. Three or more secondary DNS servers

7. DOS partition/Linux partition question

8. How to complete a HD recovery ? Help!

9. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

10. Problems installing by CDROM/Problems installing by DOS partition

11. Installing Slackware 2.0 from DOS partition

12. Install from DOS partition, but want full Linux

13. Reclaiming Dos Install Partition for Linux