getty, ppp and init

Post by Angel Blu » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:18:25

I use linking an old linux laptop into my FBSD box (4.1) trough
a serial port, directly, no modem: when I link using ppp (user-ppp
on BSD and pppd on Linux) it happens that, when I kill ppp
process (on Linux box usually - it's the "client" part) the
getty program is not respawnned on the serial port of BSD box.

(The user-ppp process on BSD runs from a script which is the
"shell" for a "ppp user" on that port).

I must do manually a "kill -HUP 1" to obtain a new getty on
the serial port (often I must do "kill -HUP" _two times_ to rerun a
getty process).

It's not normal I think but I can't solve the problem :-(

The line in /etc/ttys for the port is this:

ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  dialup  on secure

and record in /etc/gettytab for that is:

g|std.19200|19200-baud:\
        :np:sp#19200:

Thanx for help.

--

  Angel Blue  |-------------------------------------------------------------
      _*_     |  "I'm alone but I am not free"
       |      |   (Thin White Rope)

getty, ppp and init

Post by Greg Shenau » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:53:40

> I use linking an old linux laptop into my FBSD box (4.1) trough
> a serial port, directly, no modem: when I link using ppp (user-ppp
> on BSD and pppd on Linux) it happens that, when I kill ppp
> process (on Linux box usually - it's the "client" part) the
> getty program is not respawnned on the serial port of BSD box.
> (The user-ppp process on BSD runs from a script which is the
> "shell" for a "ppp user" on that port).
> I must do manually a "kill -HUP 1" to obtain a new getty on
> the serial port (often I must do "kill -HUP" _two times_ to rerun a
> getty process).
> It's not normal I think but I can't solve the problem :-(
> The line in /etc/ttys for the port is this:
> ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  dialup  on secure
> and record in /etc/gettytab for that is:
> g|std.19200|19200-baud:\
>         :np:sp#19200:

You might try unplugging the cable.  With a modem, it is
the loss and return of carrier that causes init to restart
getty; if you have a null modem cable, unplugging it may
do the same thing.

Greg Shenaut

1. init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv0:

In my new job, I have inherited a FreeBSD Box. To physically check out
some hardware I performed a Shutdown (can't remember the exact arguments
used now).

At restart, kernel processing appears to proceed without problems, until
the system somewhere during init, it apparently can't find getty. A
typical error report line looks like:
Jan 16 23:58:13 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port
/dev/ttyv0: No such file or directory
From this point, every 30 seconds the system constantly attempts to
execute getty.

And I can't get any response past this point. No keystrokes seem to do
anything, no tty devs of any kind seem to be in place. I can't RCMD from
another box anywhere.

I can reboot to a startup floppy (made with the boot.flp using fdimage),
but as the prblem seems to be a missing file (getty) I can;t get much
further.

I can get to the holographic tty4, but can't do much there either.

I can restart in single user mode, but that puts the system into
read-only mode and so I can't even see the /usr directory and files.

Any help appreciated......

2. 2.5.46 & 2.5.47 crash at shutdown

3. getty+ppp : doesn't spawn ppp :-(

4. Trouble shooting my CR-R

5. "init: can't exec getty" errors...

6. DCOP Server Problem

7. Init / Getty / Serial FAQ Prob

8. Would you recommnd me some web sites that providing Free SSL certificates?

9. Announcement: poeigl-1.3 init/getty/login

10. Init & getty respawn too fast

11. init won't start my (m)getty process!

12. init: can't exec getty 'perl' for port /dev/cuaa0

13. /etc/init does not respawn getty