Installation fails on root file system init...

Installation fails on root file system init...

Post by Michael You » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

I am making my first attempt at installing FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE and
am hitting a snag during the hard disk initialisatin process.

The system is an AST Premium 386DX with 6MB RAM, an 88MB IDE WD hard
drive, 1.44MB (A:) and 1.2MB (B:) floppy drives, a couple of serial
ports and an NE2000 network card.  Nothing particularly *, as you
can see.

The boot floppy correctly identifies all the hardware, and goes to the
installation menu.  I'm instaling a simple "User" configuration
(52MB).  The entire disk is given a single FreeBSD partition as I
don't intend to use it for anything else.  It has three labels: a 20MB
chunk for the root file system, a 20MB chunk for swap space, and the
rest for the /usr file system.  So far, so good.

The hard disk init. begins and the hard disk light flashes at 3-4 sec
intervals as the root file system is initialised.  After about 15-20
mins the init. process halts and reports a "Command returns 36", or
words to that effect (I don't have the system nearby).  And that's as
far as it'll go.

So, here are my questions:

- Is this machine too weak / too old to run FreeNSD?
- If not, would a BIOS upgrade help?
- Is an 88MB hard disk too small for the "User" config?
- If so, what is the minimum amount of disk space needed?
- Is there a workaround for the mysterious 36 error?

Any help, advice, comments would be greatly appreciated.  Useful
e-mail responses will be posted on this newsgroup.

--

Installation fails on root file system init...

Post by Michael You » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

My IDE drive geometry is 1024 cylinders, 5 heads, 33 sectors for a
total of 82.5MB - not 88MB as previously stated.  I used these
settings in the partition editor.  Is it ok to use all 1024 cylinders,
or should the last one be left out?

--

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

> My IDE drive geometry is 1024 cylinders, 5 heads, 33 sectors for a
> total of 82.5MB - not 88MB as previously stated.  I used these
> settings in the partition editor.  Is it ok to use all 1024 cylinders,
> or should the last one be left out?

You can use all of them.  The important point is that the geometry as
given to FreeBSD must match the one the BIOS is using.

88 MB are tight of space.  I wouldn't subdivide it into / and /usr
therefore, only assign some swap, and pick the rest as / file system.
(The installation program warns you later about this, but since it was
your deliberate decision to do so, you can go on.)

--
cheers, J"org