tunefs on / filesystem

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

On Free/Net/Open BSD, is it possible to tunefs the / filesystem?

tunefs on / filesystem

Post by Christoph Badu » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>On Free/Net/Open BSD, is it possible to tunefs the / filesystem?

Booting single user, tuning the raw device and then "reboot -n" does the
trick for me.

--
Christoph Badura
Verlag O'Reilly

1. How can I do a `tunefs' of the /usr partition?

OK.  I admit it.  I took a wrong turn somewhere in the Solaris 2.2
install procedure and so i got the "end user" system installed rather
than the "developer" option... and the disk partitions were (of course)
sized accordingly.

So I had to go back and manually install some packages (e.g. the system
header files, the assembler, make, etc.).

I've done that now, but as I was doing it, I ran out of space on /usr.
I managed to move stuff around so that I could get everything I need
installed, but I ran into a couple of annoying problems:

    a)  I want to run `tunefs -m' on the /usr partition so that i can
        reduce the amount of "reserved" space on that partition from 10%
        to 1%, but in order to do that, I have to un-mount /usr.  Now
        I've tried and tried to get into a state where I could un-mount
        the /usr partition, but no matter what I do (or how many processes
        I kill) I still get "/usr busy" when I try to unmount it.

        So what exactly do I have to do to get /usr un-mounted???  Some
        damn process has ahold of it and won't let go!

    b)  In order to make some space (in /usr) to make up for my bungled
        install, I tried moving all of /usr/openwin/bin to another partition
        and then makeing a symlink called /usr/openwin/bin which would point
        to the new copy of the directory (over on the other partition).

        Well, it seems as though the xnews server really doesn't want to be
        moved.  As a matter of fact, even though this kind of relocation-via-
        symlinks should (in theory) have worked, openwin now dies when I
        attempt to start it.

        So what gives?  Why does xnews have to sit exactly where it is and
        noplace else?

--

-- Ronald F. Guilmette ------------------------------------------------------

------ uucp address: ...!uunet!netcom.com!rfg -------------------------------

2. HP MO jukebox - help ...

3. How to tunefs mirrored root?

4. 2.5.72: SCSI tape error handling

5. How to do 'tunefs' on '/'

6. libc5.4.30 problems: why is it so huge?

7. ext2 and changing "reserved space" (is there a tunefs for ext2?)

8. Little problems with ports/packages

9. Does 'tunefs' destroy the contents of a file system?

10. Output of df -k after tunefs -m

11. tunefs

12. tunefs minfree

13. Solaris 2.6, "minfree", 10% free space, tunefs and time vs space