pkg-config and FreeBSD

Post by Ben Crowel » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:47:07

I recently tried to install some software on FreeBSD that isn't available in
ports, and its autoconf script choked because it couldn't find a particular
library's pkg-config file. I'd never heard of pkg-config until this, and
reading its man page doesn't really clear this up for me. Is pkg-config
some kind of extra mechanism in addition to the normal mechanism (RPM,
Debian packages, FreeBSD ports, ...) that you'd use for distributing
software on a particular OS? Is it basically not needed on FreeBSD, but
implemented for the sake of some Linux ports that expect it? If the ``make
install'' for a particular ported library (in this case libsigc++) doesn't
put a .pc file in /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig, is that a bug in the port,
or is it something that the porter shouldn't have been expected to do on
FreeBSD?

1. Trouble with pkg-config

Hello,

I'm attempting to install gnomemeeting-0.96, and when I try to
configure, it keeps telling me that the correct version of gtk+-2.0 is
not installed (It returns 2.05). However, I've compiled and installed
the gtk+-2.2 tarball, and it resides in /usr/local/lib. So essentially,
I've got two versions of gtk+ running, one in /usr/lib from the RPMS,
and one in /usr/local/lib from the tarball. The problem I have now, is
that I can't seem to convince the configure script that the correct
version is available. I've attempted to load the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
variable with the value '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig' but that doesn't seem
to make any difference. What's odd is that the pkg-config man page says
that if two versions of the same library exist on a system, they each
need to have a unique name for their respective .pc files. Though I'm
not sure if this is actually the problem, they both have the same name.
I've gone so far as to change the name of the
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc file to gtk+-2.2.pc, and change the
configure script accordingly, but this still doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

2. Request for help: `ed1: device timeout'

3. pkg-config problems (fbsd4.5)

4. Internal IDE ZIP Drive and Linux

5. pkg-config and slackware 8.1

6. Segmentation Default

7. Fwd: cvs commit: ports/java Makefile ports/java/jboss2 Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-deinstall pkg-descr pkg-install pkg-plist

8. Encrypting ftp password in ftp batch script???

9. Two issues; pkg use and pkg format

10. How do I build a pkg that will remove ALL files associated with the pkg

11. pkgadd <pkg> AFTER applying a patch affecting <pkg>

12. Advice sought: global zone pkgs vs. local zone pkgs

13. pkg-get, pkg