Problem : arp

Post by Stefan Witz » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello.

I've booted FreeBSD 2.2.1 with no physical LAN connection (I forgot it).

When I call arp -a I get no answer (no prompt, _arp didn't finish_). At this
time the ARP table is _empty_, I think.

The same problems occurs when I now connect the system to the network. The
ARP table should be still _empty_ at this time.

Then, after pinging another system, arp shows the ethernet address.

I delete this entry and then arp -a finishes showing that the table is
_empty_ again.

Is the ARP table not initialised after boot? Thanks in advance.

--

Universitaet Goettingen / Stabsstelle DV      -------------------------
Gosslerstrasse 5-7                            fon: +49 551 394160

Problem : arp

Post by J Wuns » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> When I call arp -a I get no answer (no prompt, _arp didn't finish_). At this
> time the ARP table is _empty_, I think.

arp tried to DNS reverse lookup the addresses, maybe its own address,
or maybe the broadcast address.

There should be a -n option to arp preventing the reverse lookup.
Somebody told about this, but apparently, still nobody implemented it
yet.

Quote:> Is the ARP table not initialised after boot?

You'll be surprised that there's no arp table at all. :)

The supposed-to-be `arp -an' is basically nothing else than:

192.168.0.1 at 0:a0:24:55:7a:c3

The entire arp information is part of the normal routing table.

--
cheers, J"org

1. arp cache problems/arp ip walks

How often do you see the burst of arp requests from skunk? The arp
cache times out periodically; I believe it defaults to 1 minute.

Perry

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.kidpub.org/kidpub

2. How to hide a process in the process table

3. Linux / LAN Problems (ARP?)

4. GNU patch 2.4 released

5. Nessus problems - ARP requests

6. Some programs not finding devs in /dev

7. Network problem (ARP not working?)

8. FREE at home bussiness

9. FTP Problem (ARP:....)

10. network problem - ARP?

11. Ping problem: ARP ?

12. arp question - "arp who-has" problem

13. arp -a shows only one address, what version of arp?