newbie-question: upgrading 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELEASE

newbie-question: upgrading 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELEASE

Post by Kristoff Bonn » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:40:18

Greetings,

A couple of days ago, I installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a (old) PC;
thinking this was the latest 'stable' release. (That where the floppies
I had on my boot-machine ...)

Turns out I was wrong; and the problem is I NEED 4.3-RELEASE as I intend
to use the box for VoIP (opengatekeeper, openam, openmcu) and I found a
message in groups.google.com saying there is a bug in 4.2-release which
causes these programs to crash. (the programs DO core-dump indead!)

So, I have two options.
- Completely reinstall the OS.
- Upgrade.

So, my question:
Is there a flexible way of upgrading a FreeBSD system from one major
release to another; if possible over the network without need of a
'console'?

One small question on the side.
What is the difference between a x.y-RELEASE and a x.y-STABLE release?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

newbie-question: upgrading 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELEASE

Post by Paul & Christ » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:55:34

Check out this site - it is very useful
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

Cheers

Paul

Quote:> Greetings,

> A couple of days ago, I installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a (old) PC;
> thinking this was the latest 'stable' release. (That where the floppies
> I had on my boot-machine ...)

> Turns out I was wrong; and the problem is I NEED 4.3-RELEASE as I intend
> to use the box for VoIP (opengatekeeper, openam, openmcu) and I found a
> message in groups.google.com saying there is a bug in 4.2-release which
> causes these programs to crash. (the programs DO core-dump indead!)

> So, I have two options.
> - Completely reinstall the OS.
> - Upgrade.

> So, my question:
> Is there a flexible way of upgrading a FreeBSD system from one major
> release to another; if possible over the network without need of a
> 'console'?

> One small question on the side.
> What is the difference between a x.y-RELEASE and a x.y-STABLE release?

> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

newbie-question: upgrading 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELEASE

Post by Kyle Cran » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:28:15

Quote:> Greetings,

> A couple of days ago, I installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a (old) PC;
> thinking this was the latest 'stable' release. (That where the floppies
> I had on my boot-machine ...)

> Turns out I was wrong; and the problem is I NEED 4.3-RELEASE as I intend
> to use the box for VoIP (opengatekeeper, openam, openmcu) and I found a
> message in groups.google.com saying there is a bug in 4.2-release which
> causes these programs to crash. (the programs DO core-dump indead!)

> So, I have two options.
> - Completely reinstall the OS.
> - Upgrade.

> So, my question:
> Is there a flexible way of upgrading a FreeBSD system from one major
> release to another; if possible over the network without need of a
> 'console'?

cvsup is one option that will allow you to upgrade.  cvsup allows you to
fetch the source code for the branches you want for instance 4.3-RELEASE and
then to rebuild the kernel and userland programs needed to upgrade.  The
real problem for you is that a multiuser recompile is not recommended.  I
have gotten away with it, but others have had kernel panics.  It is advised
that you drop to single user mode for part of the process.  You can also
copy the ISO image and burn it to CD and do a binary upgrade from the
4.3-RELEASE cd.  Never done it myself so I can't comment on it too much.

Quote:

> One small question on the side.
> What is the difference between a x.y-RELEASE and a x.y-STABLE release?

> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

RELEASE is a snapshot of the source and binaries at the time the CD was cut.
It is well tested and considered very stable.  STABLE is the latest TESTED
source that is on it's way to becoming the next version ie... 4.3-STABLE is
on its way to 4.4-RELEASE.  There is one other branch named CURRENT.  It is
the bleeding edge of developement and I believe is on its way to becoming
5.0 release.

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 10:39:23

>> One small question on the side. What is the difference between a
>> x.y-RELEASE and a x.y-STABLE release?
>RELEASE is a snapshot of the source and binaries at the time the CD
>was cut. It is well tested and considered very stable. STABLE is
>the latest TESTED source that is on it's way to becoming the next
>version ie...

Well sometimes it not quite TESTED - or you catch it during cvsup
upgrade and it can boink out.

Quote:> 4.3-STABLE is on its way to 4.4-RELEASE.

A cvsup on STABLE now compiles as:

FreeBSD bilver.wjv.com 4.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-PRE i386 i386

I believe next week is the target for it to become 4.4-RELEASE.

--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:29:51

>>> One small question on the side. What is the difference between a
>>> x.y-RELEASE and a x.y-STABLE release?
>>RELEASE is a snapshot of the source and binaries at the time the CD
>>was cut. It is well tested and considered very stable. STABLE is
>>the latest TESTED source that is on it's way to becoming the next
>>version ie...
>Well sometimes it not quite TESTED - or you catch it during cvsup
>upgrade and it can boink out.
>> 4.3-STABLE is on its way to 4.4-RELEASE.
>A cvsup on STABLE now compiles as:
>FreeBSD bilver.wjv.com 4.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-PRE i386 i386

Things change.

FreeBSD bilver.wjv.com 4.4-RC FreeBSD 4.4-RC  i386 i386

Bill
--

1. Newbie question on 4.3 release

I've just downloaded the last version of freebsd and I'm trying to install
it from CDROM boot, after load the kernel everythings stook after the
following message:
*panic: vm_page_insert: already inserted
Uptime: 0s*
I've also tried to start from floppy but happened the same, could someone
helpme about?
Tnks in advance

2. Caching DNS using a file?

3. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!

4. extended passwords?

5. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

6. Solaris 8 - Book

7. newbie Upgrade a 3.0 RELEASE to LAST RELEASE

8. installing pixie plus

9. Newbie - 1.1.2 -> 2.1 on FreeBSD 4.2-Release

10. XFree86 4.0.3 and 4.3-RELEASE woes plus anti-aliased font questions

11. Upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3

12. Can anyone help... problem i upgrade fron AIX 4.2 to 4.3

13. AIX Sendmail after 4.2 - 4.3 upgrade