hw-requirements

Post by Alexe » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm new to FreeBSD and I'd like to setup a mailserver for approx. 100
mailboxes (POP3)

Do you have any recommendations which software I should use?

And, what hardware configuration do I need >> how much RAM, CPU Speed?
(I'd only install the software/packages I really need... no overhead)
How well would FreeBSD preform on the following config:

Pentium 233 MMX
128 MB RAM

Thanks in advance.

Alexej

hw-requirements

Post by Chuck Swige » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I'm new to FreeBSD and I'd like to setup a mailserver for approx. 100
> mailboxes (POP3)

Simultaneous connections, or total users?  Also, IMAP would be a win, and you
can get both POP and IMAP servers via the UWash distribution (check the
ports).

Quote:> And, what hardware configuration do I need >> how much RAM, CPU Speed?
> (I'd only install the software/packages I really need... no overhead)
> How well would FreeBSD preform on the following config:

> Pentium 233 MMX
> 128 MB RAM

This would be fine for probably up to 40-50 simultaneous users; after that,
you'd want to add more memory.

-Chuck

           "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggy',
            while searching for a rock."  -- Talleyrand

hw-requirements

Post by David J. Meie » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Take a look at QMail.  More than enough for your hardware and VERY reliable
and secure.

http://www.qmail.org

Quote:> Do you have any recommendations which software I should use?