Simple CVSup question

Post by Brad Clawsi » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Its been a while since I used CVSup to upgrade the base source.

I'm going to use CVSup to go from 3.1 STABLE to 3.2 RELEASE.

I'll fill in the blanks with one of the sup files in
/usr/share/examples, but I am unsure whether I should be using

stable-supfile

or

standard-supfile

I do not want to get the sources for FreeBSD-CURRENT (4.0 track), simply
be able to go from 3.1 STABLE to 3.2 RELEASE.

Disclaimer - I know, RTFM, etc. Just hoping someone here could help.

Simple CVSup question

Post by Brad Clawsi » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Its been a while since I used CVSup to upgrade the base source.

> I'm going to use CVSup to go from 3.1 STABLE to 3.2 RELEASE.

Disclaimer #2 - I know that 3.2 RELEASE is not out yet, but it is
supposed to be on May 15th.

Simple CVSup question

Post by Steven G. Kar » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Its been a while since I used CVSup to upgrade the base source.

> I'm going to use CVSup to go from 3.1 STABLE to 3.2 RELEASE.

> I'll fill in the blanks with one of the sup files in
> /usr/share/examples, but I am unsure whether I should be using

> stable-supfile

> or

> standard-supfile

Use the stable-supfile.

--
Steve

1. What a jump (RE: Simple CVSup Question)

Hi all.

Thought I'd share my "delightful" experience with you all.

I recently decided the 3.0 Release (#9) I had on CDROM was out of date
and that I wanted to upgrade.

Here in Australia, releases seem to lag a bit.  So I thought, I'll kill
two birds with one stone and upgrade using CVSup.

After some prelim reading (thanx to all those who have contributed,
after reading I was confident I could "conquer" - and make - the world)
I decided that I would track the RELENG_3 branch, which would track the
3.2 branch.

Initially, I was cautious and decided to CVSup everything to a temporary
directory.  After watching this for a while and checking what files were
deposited, I decided I was ready!

So, I "supped" the src distributions I required.

I then made the world following the nice guidelines supplied in Nik
Clayton's notes on making the world.

Initially I had a few teething problems, but this was because I did not
have the contrib and gnu source distributions on the machine.

So, I installed all the src for gnu and contrib, reSupped and started
the build again.

This appeared to go well so I went to bed.  Next morning, the world was
built and installed.  FYI, the machine is a Pentium 150 with 80Mg RAM
and a 6.4 Gb HD.

Anyway, at this point I tryed to to a ps and was met with an error
message as I expected.

So, I left the system running (I was not game to power down), for later.

Later.  Rebuilt the kernel.  Of course my old config file didn't provide
good results, so I recreated this from the LINT file.

Kernel built and installed with similar teething problems due to
dependancies I had not identified.

Finally, a new kernel was committed to the root filesystem.

For safety's sake, I retained my old 3.0 kernel.  (This proved a wise
move).

I then said a quick prayer and rebooted.

Since this is a secondary disk, I need a boot disk.  The boot prompt
appeared and I typed in 1:wd(2,a)kernel at the boot: ? prompt.

BEEP!

Invalid kernel format.

Quick thinking, and of course, the 3.0 floppies would be incompatible.

So, I recreated a new boot floppy and read up on the new boot process.

To cut the long story short, now I have a machine, running 3.2, with all
my old applications and configuration still intact.

Whilst it was a lengthy procees, I attribute this to the fact that this
was first for me.

In all, it was no great big deal.  However, it was made so much simpler
given the wealth of information that I was able to find.

Many thanks to all who unknowinlgy made this a pleasurable and painless
experience.

Regards,

David Henshaw

2. awk available.

3. Simple CVSup config question.

4. Ramdisk size

5. CVSUP QUESTION - where are the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ files in 4.6-RELEASE?

6. securetty

7. kde-cvsup and cvsup - help?!?!

8. Need help with new monitor

9. When to cvsup from cvsup.schumann.cx

10. A simple question deserving a simple answer

11. a simple sed question ( there all simple :> )

12. Simple question from simple user

13. Simple FTP question (very simple)