BSD OS Boot Manager

Post by Brent Hetherwi » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

Must a special configuration be done to enable the FreeBSD "boot manager"
to boot from Linux?  FreeBSD, Linux, and DOS live on my hard disk, but
the BSD boot manager will only start FreeBSD and DOS.  Selecting Linux
causes the selection menu to print again.

Much thanks.

Brent Hetherwick

BSD OS Boot Manager

Post by Georg Wagne » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

> Must a special configuration be done to enable the FreeBSD "boot manager"
> to boot from Linux?  FreeBSD, Linux, and DOS live on my hard disk, but
> the BSD boot manager will only start FreeBSD and DOS.  Selecting Linux
> causes the selection menu to print again.

> Much thanks.

> Brent Hetherwick

In the HOWTOS of Linux ypu will find a FreeBSD-Linux -Howto. There is
explained how to boot
FreeBSD from lilo.

Basically you need an entry like:

other=/dev/sdb       (Assuming you are booting FreeBSD from 2. SCSI-disk)
    table=/dev/sdb
    loader=/boot/chain.b
    label=FreeBSD

in your lilo.conf. Then you do not need to install BootEasy.

Regards

Georg

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92

BSD OS Boot Manager

Post by Alexander Vi » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

>Must a special configuration be done to enable the FreeBSD "boot manager"
>to boot from Linux?  FreeBSD, Linux, and DOS live on my hard disk, but
>the BSD boot manager will only start FreeBSD and DOS.  Selecting Linux
>causes the selection menu to print again.

Put LILO on the boot sector of Linux partition and say it that it should
give no prompt (OTOH, if you keep multiple kernels...). LILO will work
as secondary loader (for Linux; FreeBSD and DOS will be loaded by the
master one).

BSD OS Boot Manager

Post by Anders M » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

>Must a special configuration be done to enable the FreeBSD "boot manager"
>to boot from Linux?  FreeBSD, Linux, and DOS live on my hard disk, but
>the BSD boot manager will only start FreeBSD and DOS.  Selecting Linux
>causes the selection menu to print again.

>Much thanks.

>Brent Hetherwick

The good news is that booteasy (easy?) can easily boot the OS's you refer to.
As far as Linux is concerned, you need to install lilo not on the MBR of
the disk, but on the partition label on the partition on which the root
partition resides. This means having

boot=/dev/hd<a,b,c..><1,2,3>

in your lilo.conf. You may, for example, have DOS on hda1 and root on
hda2, in which case you'd have hda2 above.

Unfortunately, you must probably reinstall booteasy after doing this. This means
entering /stand/sysinstall and the partition editor. Do a 'write' and
eventually, reboot the system. Hopefully, booteasy should now find your Linux
partition.

I know this works because I've been using this scheme myself.  Right now,
however, I use lilo to boot whine95, Linux and FreeBSD 2.2.1. I simply installed
FreeBSD without install any bootmanager, and entered in lilo.conf:

/other=/dev/<main slice on which the whole of FreeBSD resides, using Linux
naming convention(not, say, wd1<something>)>

Anders Moe.

1. Changing BSD partition to boot with Boot Manager (OS/2)

I've got a 1 SCSI hard drive and 2 IDE drives. When I got the SCSI drive 2
months ago I upgraded to NetBSD 1.0 and dedicated the SCSI drive to
it.  The IDE drives held MSDOG and WINDOZE. To boot netbsd I enter my
cmos and switch drive 1 from the IDE parameters to SCSI and the SCSI
drive maps right in as the boot device.

IHere's my problem. I just installed OS/2 Warp last night rearranging my
IDE partitions a little bit so I can have an unstacked DOS FAT as drive
C, two stacked FATS as D and E and an HPFS as F. This is across the two
IDEs and I boot OS/2 from the second drive's HPFS partition with the
Bootmanager.

It looks like it's possible to add my netbsd sd0a parition from disk 3 (the
SCSI drive) to the boot menu of OS/2's boot manager if the partition were
labeled bootable in OS/2's fdisk.  Hindsight is 20/20 and if I were installing
netbsd after OS/2 I would have created the netbsd boot partition with OS/2
fdisk but  this is not the case. CAN I CHANGE my netbsd root partition to
appear bootable by OS/2 bootmanager by twiddling a few bits in that
disk's partition table without hosing the root filesystem. And if so does
anyone know how to do this ?

Thanks a lot.

Rick Dante

2. PC-based diskless Xserver for Linux

3. How can i use OS/2 Boot Manager for OS/2 & Linux???

4. Cross-platform backups via tar/dump/other?

5. Linux, OS/2, and Os/2's Boot Manager

6. Why no CDE for linux?

7. Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

9. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

10. Booting LINUX with OS/2 Boot Manager

11. Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

12. How to boot Linux with OS/2 boot manager?

13. Boot Linux from SCSI (with OS/2 boot manager)