installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

Post by Jeff Jet » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 08:03:45

I recently got a new hard drive it is on an IDE expansion card in the
primary master position.  This is ad2a, correct?  when i try to "fdisk
/dev/ad2a" i get an error "fdisk: fdisk cannot open disk /dev/ad2a".
Do i need to configure my IDE card? if so how?  The card was in the
com last time i rebuilt the kernal and /dev/ad2* devices did already
exist.

Post by Torfinn Ingolfse » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 07:59:00

> I recently got a new hard drive it is on an IDE expansion card in the
> primary master position.  This is ad2a, correct?  when i try to "fdisk

You don't know that it will be ad2 yet.
Plase do 'dmesg | grep ad' to see what drives you have.

Quote:> /dev/ad2a" i get an error "fdisk: fdisk cannot open disk /dev/ad2a".
> Do i need to configure my IDE card? if so how?  The card was in the
> com last time i rebuilt the kernal and /dev/ad2* devices did already

No, but you need to dislabel your disk. See the "adding disks" section
in the handbook.
Here's the URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-addin...

BTW, you could have found this yourself you know, if you had just spent
15 - 30 minutes on www.freebsd.org
Good luck!
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen
Norway

1. HELP, newbie can't delete previous install of FreeBSD 4.4!

I installed FreeBSD 4.4 via FTP install a few months back and now I am going
to try again.  I went to boot off of the kern or mfsroot disks I used last
time and the computer will not acknowledge the floppy drive during boot
since my MBR is not set to go there.  I don't know how to recover the drive
to reinstall and I do not wish to recover any data.  What should I try?  So
far I have tried logging in as ROOT and downloading fips.exe and pfdisk.exe
but when I run them "pfdisk.exe" or "fips.exe" it says file not found even
though I am in the directory that I downloaded them to (/).  I also tried
"fdisk /dev/ad0s1a" and various syntax but only get info about the drive, no
program to actually fdisk my drive.  I also slaved the drive in a Win98
system to see if I could boot from a floppy then but the MBR from the
FreeBSD takes over.  I also tried "mount /dev/fd0" to see if I could view
the contents of the floppy but I failed at that too.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, though I
do love struggling through this while I learn.

Thanks,

JGuthrie

2. what SCSI drives does linux support?

3. FreeBSD 4.4 newbie install...hangs on "hardware probe"

4. Looking for a backup device...

5. PPPoE: 4.4 - FreeBSD Newbie Halp?

6. scripting question

7. New FreeBSD-stable 4.4 release?

8. CD-ROM Bootup

9. Configure Sound in FreeBSD 4.4 (for a newbie)

10. FreeBSD 4.4 for newbie

11. Newbie Help [FreeBSD 4.4]

12. Telnet on FreeBSD 4.4 (Newbie)

13. Installing FreeBSD 4.4 on a Asus A7V133 with onboard RAID