PPP modem connect speed?

Post by Bill Richte » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm currently running the user ppp for dialling up to my ISP, on FreeBSD
> 2.2.7.  It works great.  Now I'd like to know at what speed
> is my modem connected to the ISP - is there any switch somewhere in
> the ppp.conf file or some way I (or my program, actually)
> can read it?

> Thanks

>   -T.W.Chan-

Your modem manual will tell you the specific
option to
enable extended result codes which will be
displayed in the
ppp.log.

I use enable throughput and set hangup "\"\" AT
OK-AT-OK AT&V1 OK"
AT&V1 tells me the high and low modem speeds, pads
found signal
quality etc.

Your modem AT options may differ.

PPP modem connect speed?

Post by twc.. » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm currently running the user ppp for dialling up to my ISP, on FreeBSD
2.2.7.  It works great.  Now I'd like to know at what speed
is my modem connected to the ISP - is there any switch somewhere in
the ppp.conf file or some way I (or my program, actually)
can read it?

Thanks

  -T.W.Chan-

PPP modem connect speed?

Post by twc.. » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

>> Hi,

>> I'm currently running the user ppp for dialling up to my ISP, on FreeBSD
>> 2.2.7.  It works great.  Now I'd like to know at what speed
>> is my modem connected to the ISP - is there any switch somewhere in
>> the ppp.conf file or some way I (or my program, actually)
>> can read it?

>> Thanks

>>   -T.W.Chan-
> Your modem manual will tell you the specific
> option to
> enable extended result codes which will be
> displayed in the
> ppp.log.
> I use enable throughput and set hangup "\"\" AT
> OK-AT-OK AT&V1 OK"
> AT&V1 tells me the high and low modem speeds, pads
> found signal
> quality etc.
> Your modem AT options may differ.

Thanks for the reply.  AT&V1 works for me too.  However I'd like to know
the CARRIER speed on connect... not at hang up :)  Any tricks?  I was
considering using a chat script to read me the CARRIER string returned
by the modem at connection.  Any other ways?

Thanks.

  -T.W.Chan-

PPP modem connect speed?

Post by Robert Huf » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Thanks for the reply.  AT&V1 works for me too.  However I'd like to know
> the CARRIER speed on connect... not at hang up :)  Any tricks?  I was
> considering using a chat script to read me the CARRIER string returned
> by the modem at connection.  Any other ways?

        Close.  Add "set log +chat" to the appropriate section of
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf, then look in /var/log/ppp,log once the
connection is up.

                        Robert Huff

PPP modem connect speed?

Post by Richard Yeardl » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I'm currently running the user ppp for dialling up to my ISP, on FreeBSD
>2.2.7.  It works great.  Now I'd like to know at what speed
>is my modem connected to the ISP - is there any switch somewhere in
>the ppp.conf file or some way I (or my program, actually)
>can read it?

>Thanks

>  -T.W.Chan-

Try adding W2 to your modem setup string (eg. AT&FW2).  My modem
normally returns the modem->serial port rate (always 115200), but with
W2 it returns the connection rate (typically 40000 or 42000 with my
56kflex)  Then check your /var/log/ppp.log file for the results.

There's probably a way of sending this information to the console but
I haven't looked into it.

Rich

1. SuSE 5.3 ppp modem connect speed?

I am using the pppsetup program, works just fine.

How do I see the connect speed?  When I monitor /var/log/messages I
only see the ip addresses and some other ppp information.

Scott

------------------------------------
Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA
Web Page:  www.wwa.com/~scooter
Elgin, IL - USA
ICQ 8287204
Packet E-mail:

------------------------------------

2. problems with external modem and Linux

3. looking for way to ask modem what speed it connected at (PPP)

4. fix x86 page table init

5. How do i tell modem connect speed for PPP?

6. Looking up local client hostnames assigned by DHCPD

7. Modem connect speed with PPP

8. Some subarch warning fixes

9. Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

10. Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

11. 2 Qs: modem connect speed indication, and mounting file system over modem link

12. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.

13. Alcatel Speed Touch Modem wont Connect