What do I do?

Post by ky2n.. » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

        I have AOpen AB5X board with Intel 200MMX. 95 on the first
disk(Fujitsu 4.3Gb primary master) and I am trying to install FreeBSD
2.2.8 on the second drive(WDC primary slave). Installation went fine but
upon booting up, I got the following error. The reason being for the
second drive on primary slave is because BSD won't recognize my WDC
if I put it on secondary master. What do I do to fix this error message:
----------------------------------
all other other stuff
mounting root
Intel Pentium F00F detected. Hit any key on console to abort.
----------------------------------
--
Ky Ninh - http://www.utdallas.edu/~ky2ninh
The University of Texas at Dallas

What do I do?

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Intel Pentium F00F detected. Hit any key on console to abort.

I believe there are some details missing here!  Can you post more
information?

- K.C.

What do I do?

Post by Tyrel Burto » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

your intel processer has the F00F bug on it.... it will not boot or
something... get more info on the 'net, or get a new computer.

>         I have AOpen AB5X board with Intel 200MMX. 95 on the first
> disk(Fujitsu 4.3Gb primary master) and I am trying to install FreeBSD
> 2.2.8 on the second drive(WDC primary slave). Installation went fine but
> upon booting up, I got the following error. The reason being for the
> second drive on primary slave is because BSD won't recognize my WDC
> if I put it on secondary master. What do I do to fix this error message:
> ----------------------------------
> all other other stuff
> mounting root
> Intel Pentium F00F detected. Hit any key on console to abort.
> ----------------------------------
> --
> Ky Ninh - http://www.utdallas.edu/~ky2ninh
> The University of Texas at Dallas
> We should take from the past its fires and not its ashes.
>         -Jean Juares

Tyrel Burton                            "The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men

http://www.pangea.ca/tyrelb             An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
                                        For promis'd joy!"  - R. Burns

What do I do?

Post by ky2n.. » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

        OK, here is what I have:
-----------
wdc1 a 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
.
.
.
npx0: INT 16 interface
mounting root /
Intel Pentium F00F detected. Installing workaround.
syncing disk ... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds. press a key on the console to abort.
---------------------

$>
$> Intel Pentium F00F detected. Hit any key on console to abort.

$I believe there are some details missing here!  Can you post more
$information?

$- K.C.

--
Ky Ninh - http://www.utdallas.edu/~ky2ninh
The University of Texas at Dallas
We should take from the past its fires and not its ashes.
        -Jean Juares

What do I do?

Post by Jeremiah Schult » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have this during my boot up.  I have not found any errors, and nothing has
gone wrong with my system (intel. pent. 150).  I don't think you have to
worry about it. At least I don't.

>         I have AOpen AB5X board with Intel 200MMX. 95 on the first
> disk(Fujitsu 4.3Gb primary master) and I am trying to install FreeBSD
> 2.2.8 on the second drive(WDC primary slave). Installation went fine but
> upon booting up, I got the following error. The reason being for the
> second drive on primary slave is because BSD won't recognize my WDC
> if I put it on secondary master. What do I do to fix this error message:
> ----------------------------------
> all other other stuff
> mounting root
> Intel Pentium F00F detected. Hit any key on console to abort.
> ----------------------------------
> --
> Ky Ninh - http://www.utdallas.edu/~ky2ninh
> The University of Texas at Dallas
> We should take from the past its fires and not its ashes.
>         -Jean Juares

What do I do?

Post by Kenneth Furg » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Intel Pentium F00F detected. Installing workaround.

Is there a panic message right here?

Quote:> syncing disk ... done
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds. press a key on the console to abort.

- K.C.

What do I do?

Post by ky2n.. » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

        You are right. There a panic message right in between
-------------
Intel Pentium F00F detected. Installing workaround.
------------
panic: cannot mount root
------------
syncing disk ... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds. press a key on the console to abort.

        It keeps rebooting and I cannot get to even the command line.

        Have you run into the problem before. I would appreciate all the
help I can get!

--

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> panic: cannot mount root

That's better!  I've never run across this, though many others have.
Check out the FAQ:

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ49.html#49

- K.C.

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. Stuck with 8 bit color?

3. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

4. printer recommendations

5. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

6. Anyone using One Touch 8700 USB scanner?

7. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

8. APS FILTER AND HP SERIES-II LJET

9. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

10. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

11. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

12. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

13. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format