Upgrading 2.2.2->2.2.8, and question about NFS

Upgrading 2.2.2->2.2.8, and question about NFS

Post by s.. » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Issue 1.  Always a local student of the "don't*around with a
working system" school of thought, I've finally found a worthy reason
to upgrade my trusty old 2.2.2R box -- namely, so I can use the upper
1.6Gb of my shiny new 10Gb IDE hard drive, and to accomodate even
larger drives which I anticipate adding in the near future.

I've got the entire 2.2.8R distro sitting on the box, I've read the
upgrade notes, and I've made backups of everything on wd0 that's worth
backing up.  I've done scads of new FBSD installations, but never an
upgrade.  Are there any unpublished arcana that I should know about
before diving in?

Issue 2.  I have an NFS filesystem mounted across a hubbed 10baseT
network.  The client and server are the only two boxes on that
network.  How much (if any) would it help NFS performance if I
eliminated the hub in favor of a crossover cable, and put both NICs
into full-duplex mode?

Thanks,
-Scott

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> upgrade.  Are there any unpublished arcana that I should know about
> before diving in?

Not that i knew of.

Quote:> network.  How much (if any) would it help NFS performance if I
> eliminated the hub in favor of a crossover cable, and put both NICs
> into full-duplex mode?

Probably neglicible, since you're usually only interested in one
direction at a time.

--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL

1. WPO->NWSunLink->Solaris1.1->NFS->Solaris2.3

Creating a Word Perfect Office-WPO (4.0A) domain on a Solaris
2.X (SUN 630MP) server and getting an "Access Denied" denied message.
Have existing Novell LAN running WPO to tie the "new"
unix domain into. The UNIX/DOS connection is made using Netware
SUNLink software which runs on a Solaris 1.1 machine.  The Solaris
1.1 machine NFS mounts the target install directory from a Solaris 2.3
machine.  We are creating the domain using the DOS admin software for
WPO from the Novell side and getting and access denied message.  If I go
to the command prompt I can create a file and a directory.  Any ideas?

summary to comp.unix.admin.

2. Thing about Linux you do not know...

3. rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted ( WinNT -> samba -> Linux -> NFS -> Solaris)

4. CPIC/UPIC Help

5. Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

6. Samba: Bind Failed on Port 139???

7. nfs - mount -t nfs host:<dir> <dir>

8. high RX error rate

9. >>> System hangs after upgrading to kernel 2.0 <<<

10. SUN->NFS->Novell->local printer...how to

11. ? RedHat 3.0.3 (k2.0.0) -> 4.0 ftp/NFS upgrade???

12. RH 6.2 upgrade > broken NFS

13. Kernel upgrade from 1.1.59 -> 1.1.73 Kills NFS