Telnet Login Security

Post by stonebroth » Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
   Does anyone know how to restrict the trial time of login to about
four times.  After four times of trial for login and the password is
incorrect, the system will disconnect the connection.   Is there
anyway to do it?  And I just wonder if I can also set the idle time
for  a telnet user?  For example, can I set the length of the idle
time before the system kick out a user for not active in the system?
Thanks for reply.

rgd,
Derek
Stonebrother
Newbie IN BSD

Telnet Login Security

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

>    Does anyone know how to restrict the trial time of login to about
> four times.

Modify /usr/src/usr.bin/login/login.c.  This should be trivial to add.

--
cheers, J"org

1. maximum security for user telnet logins?

i try to setup one server for customers where they also have telnet access.
now there are a few security problems, because they need a few things like
perl, c compiler aso but i am angry that something can happen. especially
where normally a lot of files are readable by everybody.

i think about a solution where all users are automaticly chrooted to their
home directories with gets symlinks to a few (also not the original) dirs
bin/sbin....

is there any way to automaticly chroot users (linke with ftp) immediatly
after the login? or better asked is this is solution witch makes sence?

is there any advisory for such things available?

many thanks,

karl

2. tcp/ip packets encrypted on the LAN

3. security/login replacement/Fascist login/

4. Where to turn for off-site programming contracts?!

5. Telnet looping and No hostname from telnet logins

6. FYI: "Advancing in the Bash Shell" tutorial

7. Telnet login screen looks different then login screen on box

8. ftp login with AIX 5.1

9. how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

10. telnet 0 vs telnet `hostname` vs telnet 127.0.0.1

11. Telnet Security

12. Linux Telnet Daemon security setup problem with a Windows client

13. telnet security