PPPoE, FreeBSD and multply (default) pppoe servers

PPPoE, FreeBSD and multply (default) pppoe servers

Post by Plamen Petko » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 04:35:27



My ISP is running 6-7 pppoe servers among his LAN and 3 of them have NO
service-name set, only Access Concentrator names are set. So, they are
"default" in terms of pppoe. Ok, I have 3 (three) default servers
(services) in front of me.

The problem:
ppp doesn't allow to specify a particular Access Concentrator  AND
Service Name combination. It allows *only* Service Name to be set via

set device rlo:<service-name>

However, those 3 "default" servers are just waiting for ANY request for
connection and they offer their services because they don't care about
the "service name" I am looking for.. But, the server I REALY WANT to
connect has AC Name and service name set. Most times, "default" servers
catch the request and answer... 3 of 40-50 times.. "my" servers become
lucky (don't know why?, answers (with OFFER) my request.. and I log in
because I have the password. I don't have login name and pass for other
pppoe servers... and of course connection is dropped..

Huh.. I hope this make sense...  In general, why I can not set
ACNAME+service-name in ppp.conf so that the server can be uniquely
recognized ?

rp-pppoe has this functionality .. but the port is broken... huh.. pppd
version is too old...

Any help?

Regards,

Plamen

http://www.bgstore.com

 
 
 

PPPoE, FreeBSD and multply (default) pppoe servers

Post by jp » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 05:06:32


[snip: isp with 6..7 ACs, 3 of which have no SERVICENAME set, hilarity ensues]

Quote:> Huh.. I hope this make sense...  In general, why I can not set
> ACNAME+service-name in ppp.conf so that the server can be uniquely
> recognized ?

Yes, it does, but I don't have a ready made solution to offer.
A quick look into the relevant netgraph module doesn't indicate this
is supported there, but I guess it could be. In fact, I think it should
be for a full implementation. Now for a volunteer to do it... :-)

--
  j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .

 
 
 

PPPoE, FreeBSD and multply (default) pppoe servers

Post by Plamen Petko » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:20:14


Actualy, pppoe servers are nice enough to send their ACNAMEs.. At some
higher level (in  usr.sbin/ppp/ether.c ?) there must be some "if-then"
to ignore messages from server(s) we don't like...  At the moment, ppp
tries to log in to ANY server offering a service and exits (if
redial/reconnect is not set) if login is not successfull.. However, even
if redial/reconnect is set, time is wasted trying to log in.. Meanwhile,
"the desired server" also send it's offer, but timeout occur and it
gives up... thinking that offer is not accepted...

I made some very amateur hack in ether.c to disconnect right after
receiving a message from "unwanted" ACNAME(s)... I wouldn't say it is
the right way to fix the problem, however it dramaticaly shortened the
whole connecting/login procedure.. just a matter of luck and
probability.. As far as the "wasted time" is smaller.. the probability
to catch an offer from "desired" server and to answer with login
name/pass  BEFORE its timeout period...  ok, that's what I call success
:-)))

Maybe we have to dig the rp-pppoe code ? :-)

Personaly, I wouldn't play with nethgraph code... I am not so good in
networking.... And I think we shouldn't...

--
Pozdravi,
---
Plamen D. Petkov, ICQ# 2214327

http://www.bgstore.com


> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:35:27 +0300, Plamen Petkov

> [snip: isp with 6..7 ACs, 3 of which have no SERVICENAME set, hilarity
ensues]
> > Huh.. I hope this make sense...  In general, why I can not set
> > ACNAME+service-name in ppp.conf so that the server can be uniquely
> > recognized ?

> Yes, it does, but I don't have a ready made solution to offer.
> A quick look into the relevant netgraph module doesn't indicate this
> is supported there, but I guess it could be. In fact, I think it
should
> be for a full implementation. Now for a volunteer to do it... :-)

> --
>   j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .

 
 
 

PPPoE, FreeBSD and multply (default) pppoe servers

Post by jp » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:53:41



> Actualy, pppoe servers are nice enough to send their ACNAMEs.. At some
> higher level (in  usr.sbin/ppp/ether.c ?) there must be some "if-then"
> to ignore messages from server(s) we don't like...  At the moment, ppp
> tries to log in to ANY server offering a service and exits (if
> redial/reconnect is not set) if login is not successfull.. However, even
> if redial/reconnect is set, time is wasted trying to log in.. Meanwhile,
> "the desired server" also send it's offer, but timeout occur and it
> gives up... thinking that offer is not accepted...

That's what I ment with `no support', no support to select on ACNAME.
Sorry for having that too implicit :-)

Quote:> I made some very amateur hack in ether.c to disconnect right after
> receiving a message from "unwanted" ACNAME(s)... I wouldn't say it is
> the right way to fix the problem, however it dramaticaly shortened the
> whole connecting/login procedure.. just a matter of luck and
> probability.. As far as the "wasted time" is smaller.. the probability
> to catch an offer from "desired" server and to answer with login
> name/pass  BEFORE its timeout period...  ok, that's what I call success
>:-)))

You could move the check up earlier: just don't accept offers from
unwanted ACNAMEs.

Quote:> Maybe we have to dig the rp-pppoe code ? :-)

> Personaly, I wouldn't play with nethgraph code... I am not so good in
> networking.... And I think we shouldn't...

PPPoE is not a networking protocol? Besides, netgraph is a framework in
which also PPPoE is implemented. OTOH, I haven't looked into ppp(8), but
there might actually be a better place to select ACNAMES.

[snip: the entire previous message]
That is called top-posting, please don't do that. It's not done in this froup.

--
  j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .