Network card advice needed

Post by Steve Burto » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:26:16

Hi.

I recently received a PC with a Rhine II (vr driver) network card
which apparently has problems with FreeBSD. So I bought a 3com card
(905) but that uses a broadcom chip (xl driver) and had similar
problems. I avoided buying a new Intel card as I've had problems with
the new ones (S series fxp driver). The problems all happen when using
100BaseTX full duplex with Cisco switches and it makes no difference
fixing the configuration on the switch. 10BaseT operation works as
expected with all these cards. My present workaround is to buy 'B' or
'+' series Intel cards on eBay but I'm not supposed to use second hand
equipment at work. Are there any freely available network cards which
really work under FreeBSD 4.5 onwards that work under high load?

desperate.

Steve.

Network card advice needed

Post by Paul Dekker » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:45:22

Hi,

I have some "3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL"'s and never had any problems,
but since you mention that there are problems with the xl drivers I looked
on the bugs-site of FreeBSD:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=&severity=&p...
=&class=&state=&sort=none&text=xl&responsible=&multitext=&originator=&releas
e=

You are right that there are some bugs (most of them with the older B I
think), and some of them look pretty serious too :-|
I never had anything serious yet however, not even under heavy load, and I
use 100Mbit full-duplex in a 3com switched enviroment.

The vr-drivers are really not usefull: I wrote the person that handles the
problem report of it, and I was only the third person to report the problem
with vr-drivers, so there would not be a good solution soon :-(
There are also many little bugs in the via-chip's, so it are not good cards
anyway.

If anyone has a good nic-recommandation I'd like to hear. I always thought
3com was a good option, and I surely think many people are using it, so
maybe also there will be solutions for the cards if there are really severe
problems?

Paul

Quote:> Hi.

> I recently received a PC with a Rhine II (vr driver) network card
> which apparently has problems with FreeBSD. So I bought a 3com card
> (905) but that uses a broadcom chip (xl driver) and had similar
> problems. I avoided buying a new Intel card as I've had problems with
> the new ones (S series fxp driver). The problems all happen when using
> 100BaseTX full duplex with Cisco switches and it makes no difference
> fixing the configuration on the switch. 10BaseT operation works as
> expected with all these cards. My present workaround is to buy 'B' or
> '+' series Intel cards on eBay but I'm not supposed to use second hand
> equipment at work. Are there any freely available network cards which
> really work under FreeBSD 4.5 onwards that work under high load?

> desperate.

> Steve.

1. Two networks, 3 cards, 1 firewall, advice needed.

Well, I'm back again, now that I'm actually beating on my Linux machine.
 I've got 3x 3c509 cards, configured at eth0, eth1, eth2.  I want eth0
to be my "external" or internet interface, so I've given it a public IP.
 Right now, I have eth1 and eth2 having 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
respectively.  I'd like to have just one "internal" or private IP for my
linux box, and one external.  One internal NIC will go to a hub, and the
other will be connected with a cross-over cable to another computer.
I've put all of the NIC into promisc mode, and I've enabled bridging
with the brcfg util.  I've manually added a default gateway.  Here are
the questions I need answered:
1) How can I have just one internal IP, for two NICs?
2) IP masquerading doesn't seem to be working, what else do I need to
do?
3) how do I make the default gateway permanent?

Answers to any and all questions appreciated.  Thanks,
    Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. GNOME 2 on Solaris 9 session problem

3. Need advice on what network cards to buy

4. Remotely mount CDWRITER

5. sound card : advice needed : SB16 WavEffects ISA card

6. Easy way to find open IRQ's?

7. ADVICE: 2x network cards..

8. Sleep for less than a Second?

9. Need networking advice

10. PPP .. network unreachable need some advice

11. Basic Advice Needed to Restore network connectivity

12. Linux Home Network advice needed

13. Need advice about how to write network/X application.