Boot Manager RE-installation (FreeBSD 3.4)

Boot Manager RE-installation (FreeBSD 3.4)

Post by Charlie Sors » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:24:38

Hi, y'all,

I used to know how to do this but can't find my notes.

I'm going to have to re-install (yuch!) Windows on a small
existing partition on my FreeBSD 3.4 system.  As I recall, that
will clobber my boot manager and I'll have to re-install it.

Can anyone provide step-by-step directions?

And, no, I don't want to update this system nor should it be
necessary just to replace the boot manager.

you don't think it's of general interest, just an e-mail without a
corresponding post will be fine).  Reply-to is set properly in the
news headers so you should be able simply to reply to sender.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Best regards,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby     Edgewood,  NM     "I'm the NRA!"

Post by walt » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:32:36

> Hi, y'all,

> I used to know how to do this but can't find my notes.

> I'm going to have to re-install (yuch!) Windows on a small
> existing partition on my FreeBSD 3.4 system.  As I recall, that
> will clobber my boot manager and I'll have to re-install it...

That depends on the version of Windows.  IIRC the last few times
I re-installed windows it didn't touch the MBR, but this would
be Win2k or XP.

To re-install the FBSD MBR I think you would use boot0cfg -B
but I've never actually done it.  I use GRUB instead and I
recommend it highly.

Boot Manager RE-installation (FreeBSD 3.4)

Post by walt » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:46:35

.
.
.

Quote:> To re-install the FBSD MBR I think you would use boot0cfg -B

I meant to say you should definitely write down your DOS partition
table on a piece of paper (DON'T just save it to disk) because it
is defnitely possible to wipe it out using these utilities.

If you do manage to hose the partition table it's trivial to
use a FBSD install floppy to re-create the partition table by
hand using fdisk, but only if you have a copy to look at.

It can't hurt to write down your FBSD disklabel, too ;-)

1. Boot Manager on Freebsd 3.4?

Greetings!

First: A caveat ... I'm normally a linux person, but want to take a
look at Freebsd.

On to my question ... I'm trying to install Freebsd 3.4 on my P3 450
but can't find the option to install a boot manager.

I've installed the system on the 2nd drivel of my primary ide
controller.

When I reboot, it goes directly to win98.

I've poked around the setup program and can't find an option to
install the boot manager.

Any suggestions?  I'd rather not go through the entire install again.

Thanks!

david

2. mknod for SLIP (/dev/sl0)

3. Suicidal FreeBSD 3.4 Installation

4. Killing gpm...

5. Problem: Star office 5 installation in freebsd 3.4

6. kernel vars (file, filecnt)

7. newbie installation problem: FreeBSD 3.4 and Advansys SCSI

8. different fdisk woes: Error: can't read /dev/sda, free_inode: 182 already cleared

9. can't boot freebsd 3.4 from CDROM

10. Netscape 4.7 for FreeBSD 2.2x does not run on FreeBSD 3.4

11. Help: boot manager installation (DOS, FreeBSD)

12. FreeBSD boot manager and Windows NT disk manager

13. SCO OpenServer installation killing NT boot sector + boot manager problems