Installing using floppies

Post by nobod » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:02:44

I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.7 using floppy method. The problem is that
my internet provider drops modem line every two hours and I cannot do
anything about it. The modem is on gateway (not on machine I am installing
to).
The problem is that the time the modem is up is not long enough to go
through minimal install. The installation gets stuck once the modem redials.
CTRL-C will let me start again but the sysinstall does not remember how far
it got and starts from the beginning.
What can I do in this situation (apart downloading 4.7-mini.iso and burning
the CD-ROM).

Installing using floppies

Post by dsavits » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:28:05

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.7 using floppy method. The problem is that
> my internet provider drops modem line every two hours and I cannot do
> anything about it. The modem is on gateway (not on machine I am installing
> to).
> The problem is that the time the modem is up is not long enough to go
> through minimal install. The installation gets stuck once the modem redials.
> CTRL-C will let me start again but the sysinstall does not remember how far
> it got and starts from the beginning.
> What can I do in this situation (apart downloading 4.7-mini.iso and burning
> the CD-ROM).

I would use a utility like wget to download the iso, or else buy the cd.

Installing using floppies

Post by Lee Har » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:32:29

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.7 using floppy method. The problem is that
> my internet provider drops modem line every two hours and I cannot do
> anything about it. The modem is on gateway (not on machine I am installing
> to).
> The problem is that the time the modem is up is not long enough to go
> through minimal install. The installation gets stuck once the modem redials.
> CTRL-C will let me start again but the sysinstall does not remember how far
> it got and starts from the beginning.
> What can I do in this situation (apart downloading 4.7-mini.iso and burning
> the CD-ROM).

You can download all of the separate "chunks" and either point
your install at a locally created mirror, or do a "DOS Partition"
install. I have never done this before, but I am pretty sure
it is possible.

Actually, come to think of it, the first time I installed (3.1?)
I used floppy disks to copy dist chunks from a net-connected
computer to one that was not.

1. problems trying to install using floppy boot and RHL cdroms

Hi,

I got a set of RHL 9.0 CD's and am trying to install on a Dell
Dimension P3 machine. I created a boot disk using the "dd" approach
described in RH's web site and copied the bootdisk.img file from the
CDROM to the floppy.  After inserting the floppy and the machine comes
up to the RHL setup screen, I select install from graphical mode (just
hit enter).

I get the "Loading vmlinuz..........." msg, but then get

"Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue"

I have tried several different floppies, but same thing.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

'mark

2. Xdaliclock

3. Using USB floppy drive for root floppy

4. using --exclude in rsync

5. Can I Install Caldera 2.3 using a floppy and a downloaded bootable CD?

6. Problems installing Linux (redhat 5.2)

7. Installing Linux w/o using floppies

8. FLTK: extremely slow update

9. install linux/freebsd using floppy

10. Installing from a floppy using WINE

11. Newbie ?: Jumpstart Using Just Sun Install CD and Floppy

12. USING THE A1 FLOPPY TO BOOT AN INSTALLED SYSTEM - THE ANSWERS

13. RedHat 5.1 floppy install not mounting floppy ro CDROM