Boehm Garbage Collector under FreeBSD

Post by charles271.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to build the Boehm Garbage Collector under FreeBSD, and am
having trouble, starting with the undefined reference to '_GC_push_one'
when I 'make test'.  I will keep slogging, but if there's anyone out
there who has trod this path before me, any assistance is appreciated.

Charles

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Boehm Garbage Collector under FreeBSD

Post by hansbo.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

This should work, but I don't normally test on FreeBSD.

I assume this is an ELF system, and C names aren't supposed to have a
prepended underscore?  If so, there shouldn't be any references to
_GC_push_one.  The code in GC_push_regs (mach_dep.s) in the

( defined(I386) && defined(__FreeBSD__) && defined(__ELF__) )

case, should generate calls like

          asm("pushl %ebx");  asm("call GC_push_one"); asm("addl $4,%esp");

This is probably not the best way to do things, but it shouldn't
generate references to _GC_push_one.  Thus there is either an unexpected
reference from elsewhere, or one of the expected macros is not getting
defined.

If you need more information, please send mail to

Hans

> I am trying to build the Boehm Garbage Collector under FreeBSD, and am
> having trouble, starting with the undefined reference to
'_GC_push_one'
> when I 'make test'.  I will keep slogging, but if there's anyone out
> there who has trod this path before me, any assistance is appreciated.

> Charles

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Boehm Garbage Collector under FreeBSD

Post by charles271.. » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

The reply by Hans Boehm and email from other helpful souls made me
realize I was running an outdated version.  There is a port already of
the GC, and it works great.  Another score for FreeBSD!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. The XML Garbage Collector

The Document Object Model (DOM) is frequently used by
XML-based applications to hold data in memory.  The amount
of data held in memory as XML DOM Trees is several times
larger than the disk space occupied by the same XML data.
As a result, applications that tend to keep large amounts of
data as XML DOM in the cache run out of memory.

The algorithm described in this article is a simple XML
garbage collector (GC) to help applications remove the least
recently used XML nodes from the memory, thus providing a
means for applications to scale in large enterprise
environments.

Read this article at:

http://soldc.sun.com/articles/xml_garbage_collector.html

2. CABLE BOX DESCRAMBLER BUILD YOUR OWN DESCRAMBLER FAST CHEAP AND EASY

3. Any good shared memory garbage collector or library?

4. mozilla (linux) cant find servers

5. Problem with the Garbage Collector of the Netscape proxy server

6. split a file based on pattern

7. SUN Garbage Collector Messes Up Memory Allocated in SubThreads?

8. MGR - both .tsx.edu and .de version's broke on 99.13?

9. Garbage collector for linux?

10. Garbage Collectors for C++ on Linux, anybody using any?

11. Multithreaded garbage collector in IBM's JVM 1.3?

12. Bug in the Garbage Collector of the Netscape Proxy Server?

13. Help, [garbage] Crashed and I [garbage] Boot Up