3rd drive not found..?

Post by controlle » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

hi,
yesterday I bought a new drive (ATA II seagate barracuda, 9.6GB, 7200rpm)
and tried to install it. the idea was to partition the new disk and move my
current FreeBSD 4.1 installation from the old disk (5400rpm, 3GB) to the new
one.
However, FreeBSD doesn't even see the new disk (win98, which is located on
my first drive, found it without problems). It's not that fbsd gives me an
error message, but looking at /var/log/messages there simply isn't a trace
of the new disk.
When I start up fdisk from within /stand/sysinstall, there's no sign of the
new disk there either - instead, my old disks are now listed under 2 names
(ad0 &wd0, ad1 & wd1)....wtf ??????? I've done this kind of thing (moving
BSD from on disk to another) before and never experienced any problems.
what could possibly be wrong?

again, this my configuration:

primary master: 10GB with win98
primary slave: 3.2GB with freebsd
secondary master: CD-ROM
secondary slave: 9.6GB -> new disk

thanks for your help guys!

1. linux setup not seeing my 3rd ide hard drive to which I want to install

My system has two hard drives as the first primary and slave drives, but
I also have a 3rd and 4th drive on the second IDE channel.  Does anyone
know how to install to the third drive.  I tried changing the step in
the booklet from /dev/hda to /hdc but it just came back with an error.

I'm new to unix so any help would be appreciated.

--
To reply via e-mail, just remove the words
"_hello_" from the middle of the e-mail address above.

2. 2 botton mouse

3. Fdisk : could not recognise 2nd,3rd,4th drives

4. Download manager like gozilla/netants etc

5. Not finding hard drive

6. Compiling XView with PNG & JPEG 6

7. floppy tape drive not found?

8. Linux PPP to RAS

9. Hard Drive Not Found (Debian+PS/2)

10. EIDE drive on second IDE channel not found by fdisk

11. SCSI drive not found

12. Zip 100 Drive not found...

13. Yamaha 4416 CD Drive not found ?