RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

Post by Andrew Leonard Clun » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am running FreeBSD 3.4 with linux binary capability installed (linux
base 6.1).  I know that the linux capability works because I have
WordPerfect  8 running.  I am trying to install an rpm but when I run it
through RPM 2.5.6 I get this error:
failed to open //var//lib/rpm/packages.rpm

I do not understand this, as I installed the RPM through the FreeBSD
ports collection.
Any help would be appreciated.

RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

Post by Thomas Wol » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Andrew Leonard Clunis schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:>I am running FreeBSD 3.4 with linux binary capability installed (linux
>base 6.1).  I know that the linux capability works because I have
>WordPerfect  8 running.  I am trying to install an rpm but when I run it
>through RPM 2.5.6 I get this error:
>failed to open //var//lib/rpm/packages.rpm

>I do not understand this, as I installed the RPM through the FreeBSD
>ports collection.
>Any help would be appreciated.

This has to do with the fact that the linux emulation creates a
root environment in /usr/compat/linux for all linux - applications.
Try rpm -i --dbpath /usr/compat/linux/var/lib/rpm
From my (little) experience with rpm you will probably get other complains
about dependicies and  os-version. I needed --nodeps --noarch also to
get it working. I would also recommend to install in the tree mentionend
above,
I had big problems with an install of applix in /usr/local/applix instead of
/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/applix.

Thomas

1. RedHat 3.0.3 Installation - FAILED TO OPEN "/mnt/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm"

Hi,

Ok, here's the thing... I'm installing Linux RedHat from my Dos partition.
All the desired packages are in the "C:\RedHat\RPMS" directory.  The
install does everything as it should (well everything seems normal anyway),
but when it gets to the part to start installing files to my Linux
partition I get the following dialog box error:
         Package install of apps.001 failed with error:
           failed to open /mnt/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
This is the first package in the Applications set.  I get the same error
message for all the other packages too!

I went to a shell during the install (Alt-F2) and checked the "/mnt"
directory.  Sure enough, IT'S EMPTY!!  Why is this?

For refence sake, I'm using the "Boot0000" boot disk (my CD-Rom is a
Toshiba IDE and I have no ethernet card).

Can anyone help?  Would you mind sending any responses via e-mail?  Thanks!

2. Solaris 7 problems

3. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

4. God is XP pathetic

5. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

6. Diamond monster fusion model z100 under xfree86

7. /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. NetWare server and client (SPX/IPX)

9. RPM for Uwin - cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm

10. RPM corrupted, rpm --rebuilddb fails and there is data in the /var/lib/rpm directory

11. failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

12. cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm