popper config question

Post by Jim Scofiel » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am setting up a FreeBSD box to be used as a mail server.  I have
everything working fine.  Here is my problem:

I want to be able to provide email accounts that do not have telnet and/or
ftp access.  How do I config my accounts for this.  Is this a limitation of
Popper (that it needs to be a user account)?  Or, can I set up popper
accounts seperate.  Is there a better freebee mail product out there?

Also, I will be using multiple domains on this server.  Is there a way to
have a seperate user file for each domain?

Thanks,

Jim Scofield

popper config question

:
: I want to be able to provide email accounts that do not have telnet and/or
: ftp access.  How do I config my accounts for this.  Is this a limitation of
: Popper (that it needs to be a user account)?  Or, can I set up popper
: accounts seperate.  Is there a better freebee mail product out there?
:
: Also, I will be using multiple domains on this server.  Is there a way to
: have a seperate user file for each domain?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Jim Scofield

:
:

This is one possible answer that I tested out myself.  You will, so far
as I know, need to still have an entry in your /etc/passwd file for each
user.  However, you don't have to give them all different home
directories.  When I did this, I set up a bogus directory, and pointed
all the passwd entries to show that as each pop only users home
directory.  As for the shell access, I wrote a quick script that said
something to the effect of "This is a pop account, you do not have shell
access", and it would log them out.  put that in the /etc/shells file as
something like "no-login" and set that as the default shell for the
user.

Hope that helps.

--Brennon

popper config question

Post by Blaz Zup » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I want to be able to provide email accounts that do not have telnet and/or
>ftp access.  How do I config my accounts for this.  Is this a limitation of
>Popper (that it needs to be a user account)?  Or, can I set up popper
>accounts seperate.  Is there a better freebee mail product out there?

Take a look at Cyrus, available in the FreeBSD ports collection.

Or install qpopper and disable all the accounts with an invalid shell entry
in the password file (f.e. /sbin/nologin).

Quote:>Also, I will be using multiple domains on this server.  Is there a way to
>have a seperate user file for each domain?

I think there is a patch for qpopper available somewhere (if you bug me
enough I will go search through my files), but of course this is not an
option if you use Cyrus.

--

Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia

popper config question

Post by r.. » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I am setting up a FreeBSD box to be used as a mail server.  I have
> everything working fine.  Here is my problem:
> I want to be able to provide email accounts that do not have telnet and/or
> ftp access.  How do I config my accounts for this.  Is this a limitation of
> Popper (that it needs to be a user account)?  Or, can I set up popper
> accounts seperate.  Is there a better freebee mail product out there?

You'll need to create an account for each person, but just set the
default shell as /bin/false.  That will allow them to use popper
without giving them telnet/rlogin/ftp access.

Quote:> Also, I will be using multiple domains on this server.  Is there a way to
> have a seperate user file for each domain?

Yep.  Just use a mailertable to map domains to usernames.

Chris Mauritz                  | Network Security & Design
Network Engineer               | 56k-T3 connectivity to the Net.

popper config question

Post by J Wuns » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>   put that in the /etc/shells file as
> something like "no-login" and set that as the default shell for the
> user.

Don't put it into /etc/shells, this will allow them to ftp login.

Also, prepare a separate directory (instead of just mentioning an
invalid directory in the password file), and drop a .hushlogin file
there.  This prevents them from seeing the /etc/motd stuff before
being presented the `du-oh' message.

--
cheers, J"org

1. popper mail question

Hello, I have a FreeBSD-2.2.7 machine setup with user ppp dial-on-demand
via a USR modem to the internet. It works great. Recently we decided to try
and configure email using fetchmail and popper with our isp.

My isp has given me a static ip address and added some a MX record on their

with one exception,  every time a user tries to pop mail off the FreeBSD
Server, FreeBSD dials and connects to our isp first. I think popper or
sendmail are causing this- Any ideas?

Notes:
1. I am not using DNS on the FreeBSD Server. I use resolve.conf

2. The workstations are using my ISP's DNS but they also have a host table
to resolve the FreeBSD server.

3. I have configured host.conf with hosts first, then dns to resolve other
unneccesary dialing.

Side bar question(S):

Can I setup dns as a 3rd level sub of my isp?
In other words can I setup dns for the zone myserver.isp.net  without
having to register with internic and all that, I would use it strictly for
internal local traffic. Would that resolve my excessive dialing problem?

Has anyone used http://www.freebsdmall.com/support ? They will help on a
$100.00 per incident basis with FreeBSD questions.

Thank you all in advance for any assist.

Jason Neumann

2. Gunzipping

3. Eudora/Mailstrom/popper/IMAP/ question ( alternate mailbox )

4. Newbie: adding disk

5. QUESTION: sendmail on the RS/6000 (also popper problem)

6. HELP PLEASE!!TROUBLE WITH IDE CD

7. Sendmail/Popper Question

8. Everything you do on your computer is being logged!

9. Two questions: One on Mail config, the other Tin config.

10. Two Questions: Popper & Syslog

11. Apache "allow/deny access by IP address" question (& other config questions...)

12. popper error message

13. Update Re: Popper passwords