Confused newbie

Post by Phil » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:08:06

4.5 comes with XFree3 but he website refers to xfree 4 in 2.3.2 of the
guide.(http://www.uk.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/relnotes-i386.html#AEN250)

So do I have to upgrade/CVS the current version once installed or have
I lost the plot? Isn't there a verson with xfree4 included?

Confused newbie

Post by jp » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:30:08

> 4.5 comes with XFree3 but he website refers to xfree 4 in 2.3.2 of the
> guide.(http://www.uk.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/relnotes-i386.html#AEN250)

> So do I have to upgrade/CVS the current version once installed or have
> I lost the plot? Isn't there a verson with xfree4 included?

You can choose not to install XF3 but install (from packages or ports)
XF4 instead.  Don't forget to put

  XFREE86_VERSION=        4

in your /etc/make.conf, if you do so.

Confused newbie

Post by Drew Laws » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:33:09

Quote:>4.5 comes with XFree3 but he website refers to xfree 4 in 2.3.2 of the
>guide.(http://www.uk.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/relnotes-i386.html#AEN250)

>So do I have to upgrade/CVS the current version once installed or have
>I lost the plot? Isn't there a verson with xfree4 included?

Xfree4 is in the ports tree (/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4).
I believe that  Xfree3 is still the default install because it
supports a wider range of hardware.

I don't know whether the Xfree4 distfile is on the CDs.

--
 Drew Lawson

1. File permissions/access and CHAP - confused newbie!

Greetings from a newbie Windoze refuge! (the quotations below are to keep
myself organized, I know root is root and not "root")

After much mucking around, I have a technique to log into my MCIWorld CHAP
account. They (MCIWorld) said it couldn't be done - really they said we can't
help you, go away. Anyway...

I'm trying to let the "user" fire up a ppp script rather than having to be the
"root" all the time ( a bad idea, I think) and typing in a long complicated
/usr/bin/pppd /dev/tty... command to start my ppp session. Since this is a
standalone machine and I am the only person using the machine, I think its OK
for "user" to have access to PPP. All the ideas and scripts came from
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

my users: "root" and "dave"
my scripts: pppon and chatscript (both created as "root" user with emacs)

pppon script has a line: "/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 .... "chat -f
$HOME/chatscript"
and chatscript dials the ISP number and sets init strings to the modem.

Now the confusion, these are the commands (from the axion paper) to let other
users (hopefully "dave") access the pppon script:

1. mv pppon /usr/bin            : worked ok, file in /usr/bin
2. chmod a+rx /usr/bin/pppon    : worked ok too, permission changed
3. chown <user> chatscript        :here I substituted dave for <user>, worked ok
4. su <user>                      : I did su dave
                                : I checked and chatscript
                                : has the permissions "-rw-r--r-- dave root
chatscript"
5. mv chatscript $HOME  : ERROR message
                                : mv:cannot unlink 'chatscript': permission
denied
                                : mv: cannot remove 'chatscript': permission
denied
6. chmod go-rwx $HOME/chatscript        : never got to this command!

The way I understand this stuff (not very well obviously) is that as user
"dave" I should be able to type in a terminal window "pppon" and the whole
process should start.

I'm stuck, confused and very tired (but enjoying the learning curve!). What am
I doing wrong/setting permissions wrong or ... in line 5? The $HOME shell
variable thing is representative of /home/dave/? or something like that?

Getting closer every day and TIA,
Dave

2. Appending only after the last occurence has been found

3. Confused newbie... can you help?

4. Security Advice for a Development Box and Gateway

5. case fan sizes - confused newbie self builder

6. Linux and Dual P6

7. 1 linux box, 3 NICs, 1 Confused newbie

8. ipforwarding?

9. 1 Linux Server, 3 NICs, 1 confused newbie :)

10. Confused Newbie

11. Totally confused newbie screams for help

12. Confused newbie

13. confused newbie gnome question