dialin on a FBSD box

Post by Tim Ju » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:37:02

Anybody have some docs on how to (successfully) set up a dialin server
using FreeBSD?

It'd only be a SINGLE line, used only by me for when i'm on the road,
and want to get the 'net.  the Box would be it's own "gateway" as per a
private LAN is behind it.  I have the dhcpd and ipfw enabled, just want
to set up a dialin server..  Tips?

Advice??

answers??  :)

dialin on a FBSD box

Post by Thierry Herbelo » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:33:12

> Anybody have some docs on how to (successfully) set up a dialin server
> using FreeBSD?

> It'd only be a SINGLE line, used only by me for when i'm on the road,
> and want to get the 'net.  the Box would be it's own "gateway" as per a
> private LAN is behind it.  I have the dhcpd and ipfw enabled, just want
> to set up a dialin server..  Tips?

as often, there is a good explanation in the handbook :
see the para "Receiving Incoming Calls" of the "Using User PPP" section
(<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html>)

Quote:

> Advice??

> answers??  :)

        TfH

dialin on a FBSD box

Post by annel.. » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 07:32:05

>> Anybody have some docs on how to (successfully) set up a dialin server
>> using FreeBSD?

>> It'd only be a SINGLE line, used only by me for when i'm on the road,
>> and want to get the 'net.  the Box would be it's own "gateway" as per a
>> private LAN is behind it.  I have the dhcpd and ipfw enabled, just want
>> to set up a dialin server..  Tips?
> as often, there is a good explanation in the handbook :
> see the para "Receiving Incoming Calls" of the "Using User PPP" section
> (<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html>)

That's a good explanation?

I think setting up a dialin server (for a single line, as described) is
difficult.  I had this working with pppd on the receiving end when I was
running 4.0-STABLE, but with the upgrade to 4.5-STABLE, it quit working.
Using ppp on the receiving end also fails.

There's more information (much more) in the ppp and pppd manual pages,
of course, but nevertheless, it's seems to be a little bit of black magic
whether this stuff ever works or not.  Once it does, it seems to keep
working.  Right now, mine doesn't. :(

        Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:               FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC

dialin on a FBSD box

Post by Thierry Herbelo » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 02:53:23

> That's a good explanation?

> I think setting up a dialin server (for a single line, as described) is
> difficult.  I had this working with pppd on the receiving end when I was
> running 4.0-STABLE, but with the upgrade to 4.5-STABLE, it quit working.
> Using ppp on the receiving end also fails.

actually, I only set up one receive-only server, but this was some time
ago

I don't remember too many difficulties, after settling on using mgetty
and userland ppp

as you remarked, these tools may be subject to regression, so my advice
may very well be worthless ....

        TfH

Quote: