CVSUP QUESTION - where are the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ files in 4.6-RELEASE?

CVSUP QUESTION - where are the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ files in 4.6-RELEASE?

Post by Didier Wirot » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 04:37:04

Hey,
I've installed 4.6-RELEASE, and:
pkg_add -r cvsup

The problem: no template files in:
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/

I have also deleted the file and tried to install from the cd, but no
success.

I saw a previous guy posting the same question and getting an answer like
look in:
/usr/src../examples/ and "make install" from there??? I don't understand
that!

Thanks
Didier

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 05:25:07

> I've installed 4.6-RELEASE, and:
> pkg_add -r cvsup

> The problem: no template files in:
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/

The files seem to have been left out of the binary distribution of
4.6, apparently through a packaging error.  I don't have any idea
about your specific problem here, though; the cvsup package should not
care whether that directory even exists.  It *certainly* should
install fine without those files.

If I'm understanding your explanation correctly, you'll need to post
the errors that you got from pkg_add.  If you *did* get cvsup
installed okay, but need the examples to figure out how to create your
own supfile, you can get them from the source tree -- either on your
machine (if you have the sources installed), or from somewhere else (if
you don't).

Quote:> I have also deleted the file and tried to install from the cd, but no
> success.

Which file did you delete?  What were the symptoms when you had "no
success"?

Quote:> I saw a previous guy posting the same question and getting an answer like
> look in:
> /usr/src../examples/ and "make install" from there??? I don't understand
> that!

This means typing the following two commands at the command line:
 "cd /usr/src/share/examples/cvsup"
 "make install"
If you really need an explanation of what these mean, you should start
by reading a basic Unix book.

Alternatively, you could hand-copy those files to the examples
directory.  But in any case, you don't use those files for running
cvsup; they are *examples* that may help you understand how to create
your own supfiles, but they won't work exactly as-is.

Good luck.

Post by annel.. » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 07:20:19

> Hey,
> I've installed 4.6-RELEASE, and:
> pkg_add -r cvsup
> The problem: no template files in:
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
> I have also deleted the file and tried to install from the cd, but no
> success.
> I saw a previous guy posting the same question and getting an answer like
> look in:
> /usr/src../examples/ and "make install" from there??? I don't understand
> that!

These files were left off the 4.6-disc1.iso (the installation iso).
If you install full source, they will be in
/usr/src/share/examples/cvsup
You can just copy them from there to where you want them:
cp /usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/* /usr/share/examples/cvsup

        Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:               FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC

Post by annel.. » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 07:32:11

> Hey,
> I've installed 4.6-RELEASE, and:
> pkg_add -r cvsup
> The problem: no template files in:
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
> I have also deleted the file and tried to install from the cd, but no
> success.
> I saw a previous guy posting the same question and getting an answer like
> look in:
> /usr/src../examples/ and "make install" from there??? I don't understand
> that!

P.S. If you need source, use /stand/sysinstall, choose Configure, and then
Distributions, and then src/examples (if you don't want to install full source).

Instead of copying the files, you can
cd /usr/src/share/examples
and type
make install

        Annelise

--

Post by annel.. » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 07:55:07

>> Hey,
>> I've installed 4.6-RELEASE, and:
>> pkg_add -r cvsup
>> The problem: no template files in:
>> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
>> I have also deleted the file and tried to install from the cd, but no
>> success.
>> I saw a previous guy posting the same question and getting an answer like
>> look in:
>> /usr/src../examples/ and "make install" from there??? I don't understand
>> that!
> P.S. If you need source, use /stand/sysinstall, choose Configure, and then
> Distributions, and then src/examples (if you don't want to install full source).

Sorry, I think it's src/share not src/examples as the name of the source
you need.

The example files are not installed by the port (they're supposed to be there
already, after all).

Quote:> Instead of copying the files, you can
> cd /usr/src/share/examples
> and type
> make install

        Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:               FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC
Available from:  BSDmall.com and amazon.com
Book Website:    http://www.bittreepress.com/FreeBSD/introbook/

CVSUP QUESTION - where are the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ files in 4.6-RELEASE?

Post by Conrad Sabatie » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:29:59

Quote:

>Alternatively, you could hand-copy those files to the examples
>directory.  But in any case, you don't use those files for running
>cvsup; they are *examples* that may help you understand how to create
>your own supfiles, but they won't work exactly as-is.

Not true.  If you set things up in /etc/make.conf, they work just fine
with no modifications whatsoever.
--

Post by Vivien Mila » Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:42:31

> >Alternatively, you could hand-copy those files to the examples
> >directory.  But in any case, you don't use those files for running
> >cvsup; they are *examples* that may help you understand how to create
> >your own supfiles, but they won't work exactly as-is.

> Not true.  If you set things up in /etc/make.conf, they work just fine
> with no modifications whatsoever.

There's no /etc/make.conf in my 4.6-RELEASE system. Either it's an
omission like the cvsup examples, or they removed it altogether...

Vivien

--
Vivien Milat

Vivien's World - http://www.vivienm.org/

Remove NOSPAM. before replying by email. Please do not reply both by
email and in the newsgroup.

Post by Will Yardle » Mon, 24 Jun 2002 04:00:55

>> >Alternatively, you could hand-copy those files to the examples
>> >directory.  But in any case, you don't use those files for running
>> >cvsup; they are *examples* that may help you understand how to create
>> >your own supfiles, but they won't work exactly as-is.
>> Not true.  If you set things up in /etc/make.conf, they work just fine
>> with no modifications whatsoever.
> There's no /etc/make.conf in my 4.6-RELEASE system. Either it's an
> omission like the cvsup examples, or they removed it altogether...

there isn't one by default; you have to create it. you can find some
examples in /etc/defaults/make.conf.

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.

Post by Vivien Mila » Mon, 24 Jun 2002 04:06:55

> >> Not true.  If you set things up in /etc/make.conf, they work just fine
> >> with no modifications whatsoever.

> > There's no /etc/make.conf in my 4.6-RELEASE system. Either it's an
> > omission like the cvsup examples, or they removed it altogether...

> there isn't one by default; you have to create it. you can find some
> examples in /etc/defaults/make.conf.

Oops. I did try to look for information in the docs for this (I know
that I set up make.conf on my 4.3-RELEASE system), but all the
documentation I could find talked about making your own cvsup files,
etc. Was I just looking in the wrong place?

Vivien

--

Post by Lowell Gilber » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:03:54

> >Alternatively, you could hand-copy those files to the examples
> >directory.  But in any case, you don't use those files for running
> >cvsup; they are *examples* that may help you understand how to create
> >your own supfiles, but they won't work exactly as-is.

> Not true.  If you set things up in /etc/make.conf, they work just fine
> with no modifications whatsoever.

Well, okay, that is true; the host entry (which is deliberately bogus
in the example files) can be overridden at the command line.

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 01:57:13

>> >Alternatively, you could hand-copy those files to the examples
>> >directory.  But in any case, you don't use those files for running
>> >cvsup; they are *examples* that may help you understand how to create
>> >your own supfiles, but they won't work exactly as-is.
>> Not true. If you set things up in /etc/make.conf, they work
>> just fine with no modifications whatsoever.
>There's no /etc/make.conf in my 4.6-RELEASE system. Either it's an
>omission like the cvsup examples, or they removed it altogether...

There won't be an /etc/make.conf unless you create it.

That file should be only the over-ride of the settings in
/etc/defaults/make.conf.  Do NOT edit the file in defaults, but
just change the variables values from that file in the
/etc/make.conf.

Also see   man make.conf   - for values that are not in
the /etc/defaults/make.conf.

There is a LOT of information in the man file - and at least
a quick scan of it may give you some ideas.

Bill
--

1. No cvsup examples with 4.6-RELEASE install

I did an ftp install of 4.6-RELEASE, and didn't get anything in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup.

I've got my old cvsup files backed up, so I can use them, but I'm
wondering if anything changed. Mostly, I'm wondering why there's
nothing in that directory after the install.

Thanks

Joe

2. Kernel for aha2940u2w

3. Missing /usr/share/examples/cvsup/*-supfile

4. malloc bug??? under Linux using GCC 2.7.2

5. still 4.6-STABLE #0 after several cvsups?

6. Internet Connection problem

7. cvsup to 4.6

8. Gold plated Linux box for Web server

9. 4.5 stable + cvsup = 4.6 prerelease

10. 4.6 CVSUP Mouse Error

11. kde-cvsup and cvsup - help?!?!

12. When to cvsup from cvsup.schumann.cx

13. what does each cvsup example file grab?