3.3-R boot hangs after installing new SCSI drive

3.3-R boot hangs after installing new SCSI drive

Post by Omar Siddiq » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I recently added a SCSI drive (IBM Ultrastar 9GB and adaptec 2940U2W
controller) to a functioning FreeBSD installation which was booting
off a IDE drive.  Now, when the machine boots, it sits at the
"F1 FreeBSD" prompt (which now has a F5 option as well, I think).  Hitting
F1 or enter doesn't do anything (just repeats the prompt), but hitting F5,
then F1, then enter, causes the boot to proceed.  It didn't use to do this,
and used to time out and continue the boot if nobody was around to hit a
key.  After this point, all is normal, but on reboot, the same thing happens
again.

The machine was installed with FreeBSD 3.3 to begin with (network install)
with the "compatibility mode" disk partitioning scheme for the IDE disk.

How do I get this back to working normally so it can be rebooted without
keyboard intervention?  Any advice is appreciated.

-omar

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> How do I get this back to working normally so it can be rebooted
> without keyboard intervention?  Any advice is appreciated.

Tell your SCSI controller to not include the SCSI disk into the BIOS
scan, so the BIOS won't get confused by seeing a second drive.

--
cheers, J"org

1. can't boot new 3.3 install

I had Win98 and Linux installed already, with no free space below
the 1024-cylinder mark.  Lilo booted Win98 and Linux fine.

I booted from 3.3 CD-ROM and installed fine in a large slice (2GB or
so).
I installed the FreeBSD loader in the MBR.  After rebooting, I got
a prompt for DOS, Linux, or FreeBSD.  But I only got a beep when
selecting the latter two.  DOS would work fine.  Then, I got Linux
booted again and told Lilo to add FreeBSD to the menu.  It refused
because FreeBSD was above the 1024-cylinder mark.

I've tried marking the FreeBSD slice bootable from the FreeBSD install
fdisk but I still get the Lilo prompt.

How do I boot it?

Thanks a bunch,

Jeff

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

2. RedHat 4.1 fatal error during installation

3. boot hangs after installing new drive

4. Please help with a script that provides a Summary of my error logs

5. Slackware 3.3: need help with hang during boot

6. sun to ps/2 keyboard adapter

7. fbsd 3.3 install hangs

8. Atari Portfolio & HPC-301 PC Card Drive

9. Install Hang FreeBsd 3.3-RELEASE

10. Is it possible to boot from a SCSI drive if two IDE drives are installed?

11. error trying to install slakware 3.3 with scsi

12. Question about 3.3 install on a 8gig IDE drive?

13. Install floppies make the comp. boot (REL 3.3)