Trouble building jdk1.4.1 on 4.8RC

Post by Mike » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:58:14

I'm having a bit of trouble building jdk1.4.1 on FreeBSD 4.8RC. After
compiling for about 6-8 hrs on my old machine in stops with this error
message.

6/lib -lX11    -pthread -pthread
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lX11
gmake[5]: ***
[/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/control/build/bsd-i586/bin/policytool] Error 1
gmake[5]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/j2se/make/sun/security/policytool'
gmake[4]: *** [optimized] Error 2
gmake[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/j2se/make/sun/security/policytool'
gmake[3]: *** [all] Error 1

Any ideas on what might be happening. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Trouble building jdk1.4.1 on 4.8RC

Post by Thierry Herbelo » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:14:26

Hello,

> I'm having a bit of trouble building jdk1.4.1 on FreeBSD 4.8RC. After
> compiling for about 6-8 hrs on my old machine in stops with this error
> message.

> 6/lib -lX11    -pthread -pthread
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lX11

-lX11 is most likely a linker command used to link the jdk witk an X11
(X-Windows / XFrre86) library. have you installed the XFree ports ?

        TfH

Trouble building jdk1.4.1 on 4.8RC

Post by Mike » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:14:35

Yes I have x11 in stalled and it works quite well. I was thinking that
perhaps it should be '-l X11'. The only problem is grepping that line
out, as I have no clue which source file it belongs to. Thanks.

Mike

> Hello,

>>I'm having a bit of trouble building jdk1.4.1 on FreeBSD 4.8RC. After
>>compiling for about 6-8 hrs on my old machine in stops with this error
>>message.

>>6/lib -lX11    -pthread -pthread
>>/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lX11

> -lX11 is most likely a linker command used to link the jdk witk an X11
> (X-Windows / XFrre86) library. have you installed the XFree ports ?

>         TfH

Trouble building jdk1.4.1 on 4.8RC

Post by none » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:06:27

It may be that you have an X11 installation that is missing some pthread
linkage. If your /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 file is about 4230 bytes
then it may not include pthread symbols such as:

00001894 b object.11
000017ac d p.3
00000750 W pthread_cond_broadcast
00000750 W pthread_cond_destroy
00000750 W pthread_cond_init
00000750 W pthread_cond_signal
00000750 W pthread_cond_wait
00000750 W pthread_getspecific
00000750 W pthread_key_create
00000750 W pthread_mutex_destroy
00000750 W pthread_mutex_init
00000750 W pthread_mutex_lock
00000750 W pthread_mutex_unlock
00000734 W pthread_self
00000750 W pthread_setspecific

An nm -s on the library will confirm this. If the results end with "d
p.3", then something failed to link in the appropriate pthread symbols
(which results in a library file size of about 5243 bytes from what I have
seen).

IF this is the case, of incomplete thread linkage, THEN Configure test
compiles which request "-lX11" may/will probably fail NOT because the
X11.so file can't be found, BUT because the linker step in the test
compile fails as a result of missing thread symbols in
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 (or another library). This can be
confirmed by looking at the "config.log" file in a port's work (build)
directory.

For reasons that I have yet to figure out, I have had beaucoup problems
with /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 in XFree86-4.3.0 ports. In one X11
port compile, I did get the thread linkage, but in over a dozen other port
compiles, I did not. On one system, I finally gave in and went out and
found a pre-compiled binary of the 4.3.0 XFree86 libraries, clients, and
server, and installed them. They had thread linkage in
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6, and further port compiles would then
succeed.

> Yes I have x11 in stalled and it works quite well. I was thinking that
> perhaps it should be '-l X11'. The only problem is grepping that line
> out, as I have no clue which source file it belongs to. Thanks.

> Mike

>> Hello,

>>>I'm having a bit of trouble building jdk1.4.1 on FreeBSD 4.8RC. After
>>>compiling for about 6-8 hrs on my old machine in stops with this error
>>>message.

>>>6/lib -lX11    -pthread -pthread
>>>/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lX11

>> -lX11 is most likely a linker command used to link the jdk witk an X11
>> (X-Windows / XFrre86) library. have you installed the XFree ports ?

>>         TfH

Trouble building jdk1.4.1 on 4.8RC

Post by Mike » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 22:25:43

When I do 'nm -s' I get

/usr/libexec/elf/nm: a.out: No such file or directory

I'm beginning to think this might be a bigger problem realting to my
upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.8 RC. I'll deinstall and reinstall X. Thanks for
the help.

Mike

> It may be that you have an X11 installation that is missing some pthread
> linkage. If your /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 file is about 4230 bytes
> then it may not include pthread symbols such as:

> 00001894 b object.11
> 000017ac d p.3
> 00000750 W pthread_cond_broadcast
> 00000750 W pthread_cond_destroy
> 00000750 W pthread_cond_init
> 00000750 W pthread_cond_signal
> 00000750 W pthread_cond_wait
> 00000750 W pthread_getspecific
> 00000750 W pthread_key_create
> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_destroy
> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_init
> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_lock
> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_unlock
> 00000734 W pthread_self
> 00000750 W pthread_setspecific

> An nm -s on the library will confirm this. If the results end with "d
> p.3", then something failed to link in the appropriate pthread symbols
> (which results in a library file size of about 5243 bytes from what I have
> seen).

> IF this is the case, of incomplete thread linkage, THEN Configure test
> compiles which request "-lX11" may/will probably fail NOT because the
> X11.so file can't be found, BUT because the linker step in the test
> compile fails as a result of missing thread symbols in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 (or another library). This can be
> confirmed by looking at the "config.log" file in a port's work (build)
> directory.

> For reasons that I have yet to figure out, I have had beaucoup problems
> with /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 in XFree86-4.3.0 ports. In one X11
> port compile, I did get the thread linkage, but in over a dozen other port
> compiles, I did not. On one system, I finally gave in and went out and
> found a pre-compiled binary of the 4.3.0 XFree86 libraries, clients, and
> server, and installed them. They had thread linkage in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6, and further port compiles would then
> succeed.

>>Yes I have x11 in stalled and it works quite well. I was thinking that
>>perhaps it should be '-l X11'. The only problem is grepping that line
>>out, as I have no clue which source file it belongs to. Thanks.

>>Mike

>>>Hello,

>>>-lX11 is most likely a linker command used to link the jdk witk an X11
>>>(X-Windows / XFrre86) library. have you installed the XFree ports ?

>>>        TfH

Trouble building jdk1.4.1 on 4.8RC

Post by none » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 16:12:22

Make sure that you include the path to the shared object (eg., library)
that you want to see the symbol table for. You can't execute "nm -s"
without its required "objfile ..." parameter list and get anything useful
in response. See the nm MANual page for more information.

> When I do 'nm -s' I get

> /usr/libexec/elf/nm: a.out: No such file or directory

> I'm beginning to think this might be a bigger problem realting to my
> upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.8 RC. I'll deinstall and reinstall X. Thanks for
> the help.

> Mike

>> It may be that you have an X11 installation that is missing some pthread
>> linkage. If your /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 file is about 4230 bytes
>> then it may not include pthread symbols such as:

>> 00001894 b object.11
>> 000017ac d p.3
>> 00000750 W pthread_cond_broadcast
>> 00000750 W pthread_cond_destroy
>> 00000750 W pthread_cond_init
>> 00000750 W pthread_cond_signal
>> 00000750 W pthread_cond_wait
>> 00000750 W pthread_getspecific
>> 00000750 W pthread_key_create
>> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_destroy
>> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_init
>> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_lock
>> 00000750 W pthread_mutex_unlock
>> 00000734 W pthread_self
>> 00000750 W pthread_setspecific

>> An nm -s on the library will confirm this. If the results end with "d
>> p.3", then something failed to link in the appropriate pthread symbols
>> (which results in a library file size of about 5243 bytes from what I have
>> seen).

>> IF this is the case, of incomplete thread linkage, THEN Configure test
>> compiles which request "-lX11" may/will probably fail NOT because the
>> X11.so file can't be found, BUT because the linker step in the test
>> compile fails as a result of missing thread symbols in
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 (or another library). This can be
>> confirmed by looking at the "config.log" file in a port's work (build)
>> directory.

>> For reasons that I have yet to figure out, I have had beaucoup problems
>> with /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 in XFree86-4.3.0 ports. In one X11
>> port compile, I did get the thread linkage, but in over a dozen other port
>> compiles, I did not. On one system, I finally gave in and went out and
>> found a pre-compiled binary of the 4.3.0 XFree86 libraries, clients, and
>> server, and installed them. They had thread linkage in
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6, and further port compiles would then
>> succeed.

>>>Yes I have x11 in stalled and it works quite well. I was thinking that
>>>perhaps it should be '-l X11'. The only problem is grepping that line
>>>out, as I have no clue which source file it belongs to. Thanks.

>>>Mike

Trouble building jdk1.4.1 on 4.8RC

Post by Mike » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 05:09:33

Sorry, here is the output

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5243 Apr  2 09:49 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6

000017b8 A _DYNAMIC
00001878 A _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
000018ac b _X_no_thread_id.3
00000734 t _Xthr_self_stub_
00000750 t _Xthr_zero_stub_
0000186c ? __CTOR_END__
00001868 ? __CTOR_LIST__
00001874 ? __DTOR_END__
00001870 ? __DTOR_LIST__
000017b4 ? __EH_FRAME_BEGIN__
000017b4 ? __FRAME_END__
00001894 A __bss_start
          w __deregister_frame_info
00000758 t __do_global_ctors_aux
00000668 t __do_global_dtors_aux
          w __register_frame_info
00001894 A _edata
000018b0 A _end
000007a4 T _fini
0000062c T _init
000017b0 d completed.4
000006cc t fini_dummy
000017b4 d force_to_data
000017b4 d force_to_data
000006e4 t frame_dummy
00000734 t gcc2_compiled.
00000758 t gcc2_compiled.
00000668 t gcc2_compiled.
0000078c t init_dummy
0000071c t init_dummy
00001894 b object.11
000017ac d p.3
00000750 W pthread_cond_broadcast
00000750 W pthread_cond_destroy
00000750 W pthread_cond_init
00000750 W pthread_cond_signal
00000750 W pthread_cond_wait
00000750 W pthread_getspecific
00000750 W pthread_key_create
00000750 W pthread_mutex_destroy
00000750 W pthread_mutex_init
00000750 W pthread_mutex_lock
00000750 W pthread_mutex_unlock
00000734 W pthread_self
00000750 W pthread_setspecific

Thanks for the help.

> Make sure that you include the path to the shared object (eg., library)
> that you want to see the symbol table for. You can't execute "nm -s"
> without its required "objfile ..." parameter list and get anything useful
> in response. See the nm MANual page for more information.

>>When I do 'nm -s' I get

>>/usr/libexec/elf/nm: a.out: No such file or directory

>>I'm beginning to think this might be a bigger problem realting to my
>>upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.8 RC. I'll deinstall and reinstall X. Thanks for
>>the help.

>>Mike

>>>It may be that you have an X11 installation that is missing some pthread
>>>linkage. If your /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 file is about 4230 bytes
>>>then it may not include pthread symbols such as:

>>>00001894 b object.11
>>>000017ac d p.3
>>>00000750 W pthread_cond_broadcast
>>>00000750 W pthread_cond_destroy
>>>00000750 W pthread_cond_init
>>>00000750 W pthread_cond_signal
>>>00000750 W pthread_cond_wait
>>>00000750 W pthread_getspecific
>>>00000750 W pthread_key_create
>>>00000750 W pthread_mutex_destroy
>>>00000750 W pthread_mutex_init
>>>00000750 W pthread_mutex_lock
>>>00000750 W pthread_mutex_unlock
>>>00000734 W pthread_self
>>>00000750 W pthread_setspecific

>>>An nm -s on the library will confirm this. If the results end with "d
>>>p.3", then something failed to link in the appropriate pthread symbols
>>>(which results in a library file size of about 5243 bytes from what I have
>>>seen).

>>>IF this is the case, of incomplete thread linkage, THEN Configure test
>>>compiles which request "-lX11" may/will probably fail NOT because the
>>>X11.so file can't be found, BUT because the linker step in the test
>>>compile fails as a result of missing thread symbols in
>>>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 (or another library). This can be
>>>confirmed by looking at the "config.log" file in a port's work (build)
>>>directory.

>>>For reasons that I have yet to figure out, I have had beaucoup problems
>>>with /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6 in XFree86-4.3.0 ports. In one X11
>>>port compile, I did get the thread linkage, but in over a dozen other port
>>>compiles, I did not. On one system, I finally gave in and went out and
>>>found a pre-compiled binary of the 4.3.0 XFree86 libraries, clients, and
>>>server, and installed them. They had thread linkage in
>>>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6, and further port compiles would then
>>>succeed.

1. JDK1.4.1-p3 build on K6-III

Since patch set 2, I've had trouble building jdk1.4.1 on my machine.  It
crashes in the same spot with the same failed assertion.  A build script
appears in a previous posting, or I can send one if needed.
The build always fails when trying to run javah_g for the first time.  I
did a little hacking and changed the build script to run javah instead.
The build completed.  I have since checked most of the binaries in
${BUILD_DIR}/control/build/bsd-i586/bin and all the debug (_g) binaries
I've checked fail in the same manner.  The normal binaries appear just
fine.
Hopefully this will help whoever is working on this problem.

2. Regexp Question

3. jdk1.4.1 first try to build

4. netscape questions on RH 6.1

5. NullPointerException in Together/jdk1.4.1-p3

6. Diskless server preparation problem

7. How to switch tomcat41ctl to use jdk1.4.1?

8. autoconf

9. DVArchive + jdk1.4.1

10. JDK1.4.1 and runaway processes.

11. sun-jdk1.4.1 [core dumped]

12. Problem with linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.1

13. Native jdk1.4.1 with libkse