Dual-boot FreeBSD and Solaris FROM FreeBSD

Dual-boot FreeBSD and Solaris FROM FreeBSD

Post by Kin Man Ya » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html

FreeBSD has a program called BootEasy which allows
you to boot other OS. The above page is pretty useful
although it doesn't talk about Solaris. Solaris 7 doesn't
mess around MBR too much but you have to set its
partition active to boot it up. Man page would also be
a good source of info. Good luck.

--
Charles

Dual-boot FreeBSD and Solaris FROM FreeBSD

Post by slavin.. » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I run FreeBSD 3.2 and Solaris x86 on the same machine.  Currently,
FreeBSD is installed on the master disk and starts off of FreeBSD
bootloader.  Solaris, however, is on the slave disk, and I'm forced to
boot it with the floppy each time I need to use it.  Is it possible to
alter FreeBSD's configuration so I could boot both it and Solaris from
FreeBSD's bootloader?

Oh, by the way, I'd like to set up and use PPP with FreeBSD.  What
FAQs/manuals/sites would you recommend?

Thanks.

- Slav Inger.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Luca Cotta Ramusi » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I run FreeBSD 3.2 and Solaris x86 on the same machine.  Currently,
>FreeBSD is installed on the master disk and starts off of FreeBSD
>bootloader.

I actually have it the other way around, and the boot mgr that comes
with Solaris is pretty good. It recognized the BSD partition right
away. Also, I striped both FBSD and Solaris across two disks. Root for
both OS's in on a small partition on the first (master) disk, and /usr
is on the second (ok, for Solaris it's a bit more complicated, but I'm
sure you get the idea).

Best,

Luca