Disk Geometry problem FreeBSD 4.0

Post by B. Carlso » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

I'm using FreeBSD 4.0 and this is a new installation.  I have a
Maxtor 91728D8 which is a 17 gig drive.  The label on the drive
says this:
cylinder   16383      head   16          sectors   63

When I boot up with the cd and do the Disk label it says this:
cylinder  4096         head  16          sectors  63

Which is now only giving me like maybe a little less than 2 gigs.
There is nothing physically wrong with the drive.  I boot up in
dos and it does the same thing on an Fdisk, tells me there is only
about a gig or so of space.  I tried fixing it with setting the geometry

in BSD, which when I set the geometry to the listing on the outside
of the drive it shows up correctly, but I write the information out
and reboot and it's back to 4096 cylinders.  The Bios is correctly
identifying the drive as you can see above in the drive ID, what can
I do to get my 16 gigs of space back?

B. Carlson

Disk Geometry problem FreeBSD 4.0

Post by Chad E. Cowa » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

    Have you tried it with another IDE controller in another computer?

    Chad

Quote:

> I'm using FreeBSD 4.0 and this is a new installation.  I have a
> Maxtor 91728D8 which is a 17 gig drive.  The label on the drive
> says this:
> cylinder   16383      head   16          sectors   63

> When I boot up with the cd and do the Disk label it says this:
> cylinder  4096         head  16          sectors  63

> Which is now only giving me like maybe a little less than 2 gigs.
> There is nothing physically wrong with the drive.  I boot up in
> dos and it does the same thing on an Fdisk, tells me there is only
> about a gig or so of space.  I tried fixing it with setting the geometry

> in BSD, which when I set the geometry to the listing on the outside
> of the drive it shows up correctly, but I write the information out
> and reboot and it's back to 4096 cylinders.  The Bios is correctly
> identifying the drive as you can see above in the drive ID, what can
> I do to get my 16 gigs of space back?

> B. Carlson

1. Promise Ultra ATA Controller and FreeBSD: Bad Disk Geometry

I'm trying to install FreeBSD onto a 6.4 gig Ultra ATA hard drive that
already has two FAT32 partitions on it. Unfortunately, I can't get
FreeBSD to accept my hard drive geometry. It doesn't detect the right
geometry (it thinks there are 512 cylinders), and entering both actual
and translated geometry doesn't work.  The controller is a Promise
Ultra33 controller, and the hard drive is a Quantum Fireball Ultra ATA
hard drive.  The standard EIDE on the motherboard is used for the CD
and the ZIP drive.  Any ideas?

-Tom

2. CRC ERROR!! when booting from floopy

3. Where does FreeBSD get its (bad, in my case) disk geometry from?

4. Windows to Linux Conversion FAQ?

5. argh! mouse problem with freebsd 4.0/xfree 4.0

6. Atari800-0.7.0 - Atari 800 emulator

7. SCSI disk drive geometry limits hard disk choices?

8. remove files of size zero

9. Disk Geometry on Second IDE Disk

10. Getting disk geometry from SCSI disk

11. how to determine disk geometry for SCSI disk?

12. Disk Geometry on Second IDE Disk

13. FreeBSD 3.4 + 4.0 + Linux on one disk