HELP PLEASE! Problem with Board? CPU? SDRAM?

HELP PLEASE! Problem with Board? CPU? SDRAM?

Post by Gregory Pavelc » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I really hope someone can help me! I recently got a motherboard with
VXPro Chipset and Cyrix 6x86L 200+ CPU and generic 32M DIMM SDRAM.
In the past, I have found
FreeBSD installations to go quite smoothly from CDROM, but I am stuck
here. Every time I try to install I get through about 55% of the bin
(very slowly it seems to me) and then I get "panic page fault"
The most recent attempt left me with this message. If anyone can shed
any light on the likeliest source of my problem, I would really
appreciate it. I just bought this stuff, and I don't know who to
complain to.

If you have some suggestions, you can e-mail me or post here. I check
fairly frequently, since I'm frustrated and with my computer down I
haven't got much else to do but read this newsgroup.

Here it is:

        Fatal trap 12 = page fault while in kernel mode
        fault virtual address = 0x10
        fault code = supervisor read, page not present
        instruction pointer = 0x8 : 0xf012e5c6
        stack pointer = 0x10 : 0xf0207dc8
        frame pointer = 0x10 : 0xf0207dd8
        code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                     = DPL 0, pres 1, def 321, gran 1

        processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
        current process = idle
        interrupt mask = bio
        panic: page fault

        Automatic reboot in 15 seconds.

Anyway, Id appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thanks a lot.

Greg Pavelcak

HELP PLEASE! Problem with Board? CPU? SDRAM?

Post by Eric Bloo » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

    Gregory> ... Every time I try to install I get
    Gregory> through about 55% of the bin (very slowly it seems to me)
    Gregory> and then I get "panic page fault" The most recent attempt
    Gregory> left me with this message.

I've had a similar problem before on two systems.  My solution was to
use the device configuration at boot time and remove all the devices I
could that didn't apply to my configuration.  Hope this helps.

--
Eric V. *

Post by Ian » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I really hope someone can help me! I recently got a motherboard with
> VXPro Chipset and Cyrix 6x86L 200+ CPU and generic 32M DIMM SDRAM.
> In the past, I have found
> FreeBSD installations to go quite smoothly from CDROM, but I am stuck
> here. Every time I try to install I get through about 55% of the bin
> (very slowly it seems to me) and then I get "panic page fault"
> The most recent attempt left me with this message. If anyone can shed
> any light on the likeliest source of my problem, I would really
> appreciate it. I just bought this stuff, and I don't know who to
> complain to.

I would go out and get a better motherboard. :)